Minibike

cfh

i think west virginia is more like 8 hours south of me (michigan). but i'm amazed you find bonanzas. i've *never* seen one for sale here. i go to the detroit mini bike show too, and they don't show up there either. you must have them all! ha!

Yeah I guess it’s 3.5 hours from me to Marblehead….walleyes….Let me know if you need a bonanza I’m sure we can get one up there….

copyman

Maybe it is a regional thing. Because here on east coast Rupps are plentiful and not that expensive. There are at least 20 for sale right now on FB & Craigslist. Some already restored, some not restored but most with all the parts, some rollers without motors, and of course just frames. Didn't notice where the OP was from but if here on east coast Rupp is the way to go for sure! And where ever the OP is I will stick by my original post that Rupp would be best to start because of abundance of parts available. I personally don't like Rupp's because they tend to be smaller bikes but the one I did restore was the easiest to find parts, etc.

copyman

i agree Rupps, especially 1970 to 1975 models, are plentiful and pretty easy to restore. Nearly ever part for them is available at Black Widow motorsport. The only downside is, if the base bike is pretty flogged, it will be expensive. I would stay away from the 1965 to 1969 Rupps though, as they are genuine money pits! and also not as many parts are available for those, and they are way more expensive parts.

The other upside to Rupp is the 1970-1975 models are really good bikes. i mean they made a ton of them because they are so good. They ride and handle really well. And if you look on ebay for parts you can't get from BlackWidow, nearly every part is out there. They just made so many of those Rupps, someone is always selling stuff.

And finally the 1970 to 1975 models use Tecumseh HS model motors. Again, easy to get. Opposed to the pre-1970 H50 engines, which are much harder to get (in terms of parts and base motors.) And the pre-1970 two-speed clutches and clutch guards, don't even get me started on that! man that's $500 easy right there, and you still have SO much more to buy. 1965 to 1969 Rupps just aren't worth the squeeze to restore, unless you are rich.

if you want to get an idea on what is involved in restoring a minibike, i did a youtube video series (nine total videos) on restoring a Speedway from a pile of parts. It certainly applies to other mini bikes too (like say rupp.) it can give you an idea of what you're up for, and how much it may cost. I know, 9 part video series, it's potentially a time kill! but it just depends how deep you want to go in this sinkhole....
Exactly! Great advice!