more crab help?

Rupp 72

so i now have a big block 5 horse tec for my rupp tt500. i have been messing around with the carb just trying to get it in tune. i haven't quite been able to get it perfectly dialed in yet though. here are some of the problems that i would like help with.

#1 starts well when cold, runs for a little while and slowly starts to lower the RPMs until it dies.

#2 after it dies it can sometimes take a lot of pulling to it it going again, when you get it going step 1 may happen again.

#3 if you pin it right away it basiclly kills the engine, doesn't really boug out or anything just doesn't fire. However if you SLOWLY bring it up it works.

#4 When giving it FULL throttle with the plate as far open as it will go, completly fighting off the govener trying to bring it down. It starts to missfire, pop, kackle, not run good, until you let off the gas a bit then it sounds and runs better again

thanks in advance for the help

WrenchDad

Do you know if the rings are good or if it has any ring blow by I had a 5 h.p briggs that did the same thing. once it would build up with carbon it ran real bad until it shut down
( but it would do the same thing) your explaining. I would pull the head and scrape it clean (brass brush) and clean the plug Then it would run fine. I may be way off but thats the situation I had.

Or maybe some thing in the carb restricting flow, dirt varnish ect.

Hope it helps

Rupp 72

the plug is origional so 45 years old, could be changed. i did previosly take the head off and clean the carbon build up and compression is good

Check the magnets on the flywheel if they are the glued on kind.As far as Tecumseh carbs go, I know everyone has their own experience but for me...I take them completely apart then shake them-n-listen and if they dont make a rattle sound I wont use that carb.I have never ever been able to make-em idle good unless they rattle and for me that is a fact.I can make-em idle so good its almost unbelievable and that little rattler inside the carb has everything to do with it.(this is from my experience,yours may vary)There's a little hole on the side of the carb make sure that puppy is open and check your float make sure it dont have a hole in it.

Last edited:
i think i know exactly what your problem is........as stated in your heading.........you have crab problems...........clear out the crabs and everything should be just fine:doah::devil2: