Most effective clutch?

CDM

Hi all,
I have a modified coleman ct200u, the stock clutch is terrible, and I tried the max-torque clutch, that lasted quite longer.
Whats the most "effective" clutch, without breaking the bank? I can't see spending hundreds on a racing clutch, but the cheap ones just don't last.

Thanks, CDM
:scooter:

gbabins1

What do you mean by "don't last"? A proper cared for clutch can last a long time... as long as it's maintained and bike is geared correctly. Are you oiling the bushing by chance? I've had the same Max torque clutches on a few of my bikes for years now.
Hi all,
I have a modified coleman ct200u, the stock clutch is terrible, and I tried the max-torque clutch, that lasted quite longer.
Whats the most "effective" clutch, without breaking the bank? I can't see spending hundreds on a racing clutch, but the cheap ones just don't last.

Thanks, CDM
:scooter:
Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

CDM

I try my best to properly maintain my clutches, but say when I am riding for a couple hours at a crack, I hate having to stop every 15 minutes to lube it so it doesn't squeal.

gbabins1

Do you happen to know what gear ratio you're running? I'm wondering if the clutch is getting too hot for the type of riding you are doing. A couple of my bikes are geared pretty low and I can trail ride them hard, through the sand and all for about 5 hours before I yank the clutch to service it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

SAS289

Stock Coleman is 10/1 so it shouldn't be a gearing issue.

Watching my son and his friend riding I noticed both of them spending too much time on the slip area of the clutch. They also would stop with the bike idling and bump the throttle while talking. I explained to them that both of these does nothing but heat up the clutch and can cause premature damage. I told them not to baby the thing and to get on the throttle hard and go.

Clutches slip. Every effort should be made to minimalize slippage.

My stock Coleman clutch has a caged needle bearing and has never seen a drop of oil. It gets wheel bearing grease.

I have a kart with a Magnum premier clutch that has lasted me for many years, it has a needle bearing. This year before my nieces kids came I put it on the kart they ride instead of the max toque which had a much earlier lockup, I had used on stock HF predators but this year went to a 8000 rpm modded clone. Well they kept riding it below lockup and after 3 weeks when they left, I removed engine to prep for storage cleaned up the kart and took clutch off to service it, the needles were dry and fell out as the cage had melted. You cant keep slipping any clutch and the disc clutches will die as well if slipped too much. The crankshaft end was blue as well so you can imagine how hot the clutch must have been.

Last edited: