Mr.GhettoRig's Overpowered Electra

So here's my latest bright idea. Electra Duluxe beach cruiser with a 5hp Briggs flatty. My game plan is to have something that somewhat resembles a rat bike/board tracker... sorta my version of TRK's suicycle. :laugh:

anyway here's my entry photo.

The engine got slapped in there like a month or so ago, but the way I did it really screwed up my frame. I put bolts through the frame without thinking and quickly realized that I created a huge weak point on the down tube. so now I gotta go cut the frame, sleeve it, and reweld it.. then weld a new engine plate in. so really all I did was add more work for myself. :hammer: the engine I'm using got stolen from the "scratch built chopper" project and it already has trimmed eyebrows and cleaned up ports. I'm waiting on a box of parts from TRK, and a billet rod for the ease of mind before I can have that up and running. then I figured that trophy would make a cool velocity stack. might use it might not. :shrug:

that tank you see is a fake tank from a jesse james chopper bicycle that my friend gave me, I don't think welding it shut and adding a cap and bung wont be too difficult and it looks pretty good with the frame. I also have a cover I took off some weird briggs powered fan with a pulley system.. with a little modification it'll make a nice vintage looking chain guard.

the drive system is gonna be direct belt drive to a jackshaft with a suicide shifter to engage it. then the jackshaft is also going to be belt drive to a 20" bicycle rim mounted to the spokes of my 26" wheel. I bought a weinmann 12g spoke rear wheel so I'm crossing my fingers bent spokes won't be an issue, it's a nice wide rim so I need to get a nice set of wide tires to go along with it, I had my eyes on the electra retrorunner tire. I hope with this set up I'll be able to pedal start it like one of the old board track racers, if not I'll just keep the pullstart on her and it should be good to go.

I'm currently on the look out for a decent disc brake front wheel and the caliper to go with it. then I'll probably have my stepdads friend help me out with making a custom springer fork.

here's how I picture it in my head as of now, but I tend to change my mind a lot. :facepalm:

thats what's on the menu so far. more madness to come I'm sure, I'm excited about participating this year, should be fun. :thumbsup:

also if anything in my description disqualifies me I'll resign without too much kicking and screaming :laugh:

hahahaha yeah I wish my shop was that big... currently I'm crammed into one corner of a two car garage.. I trip over my stuff constantly. and YOOP I start with a half-assed sketch first... and scan it.

then I throw the picture into paint.NET which is decent free software.. take an hour or so tracing the sketch in a different layer with a hard line weight for main parts and a finer line for accessories or areas that aren't important. which usually leaves me with this. (for this particular drawing I added and removed a few details from the sketch).

From here it's easy to fill with color, but the problem with this is that it won't very realistic. So I got into another layer and draw over the part with a really thick line (white for shines and black for shadows).. blur them a abit.. then go into my frame layer and select the outside of the object AND the outline and then invert selection and remove it from the shine layer.. that way there's no excess junk all over the place.... when I look at that layer alone it usually looks like this.

then from there it's just a matter of coloring things in and adding a fancy background. :shrug: I also add extra layers so I can add and remove white wall tires as I please.. just to humor myself. :eek:ut:

maybe I'll make a tutorial one day.. it's not hard it's just time consuming. :laugh::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Valocalrep

I ran a bike like this over the summer before the motor died, can I suggest running a 24 wheel instead of a 26. It will give it a lower meaner look. I changed my from 26 to a 20 and it sat amazingly for what I wanted

I ran a bike like this over the summer before the motor died, can I suggest running a 24 wheel instead of a 26. It will give it a lower meaner look. I changed my from 26 to a 20 and it sat amazingly for what I wanted
thanks for the input Valocalrep. The issue I have with that is I just dumped 50 bucks on a brand new rear wheel.. I haven't bought the front yet, If I had one available I could put a 24" on the front and see how it plays out, with this style bike it may look a little goofy though. :laugh: maybe in the future I'll go smaller but since I don't have anything else to put the new 26" wheel on I'll just use that for now.

and a 20? thats pretty small. what kinda bike was it? on mine if I had a tire that small my pedals would be rubbing the ground. :laugh:

I like it, good design. I tried using paint.net in my design but couldnt get past the invert colors mode. I'm glad to see what the program can do, I almost just gave up on it.

thanks a lot guys, I'm really glad I could be part of the build this year :thumbsup:. I just got TRK's box of goodies in the mail today. so all I need is a billet rod before I can have the engine turning again. and once I get my 20" wheel despoked I can work begin work on my frame repair and modification as well as mounting the rim to my new wheel. hopefully that'll happen before too long, maybe I'll even start working on my springer front end.... there's just so much to do. :freakout: :lol:

not MUCH of an update but it's something.. I got my new wheel in the mail and I'm pretty happy with it. The rim is nice and thick so it'll compliment the project very well. The color even makes my old dirty, dry-rotted pos white wall look good. so now I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with a set of black walls, or white walls, or maybe just a white wall on the back. :shrug: but I'll figure it out.

Someone in my auto class told me about a bicycle junk yard thats a fair distance away from my house, so I'll check that place out to see if they have my springer fork and maybe a disc brake front wheel.

Just ordered a billet rod from ebay today so when that gets here I'll have the engine running. I got a little bit of play money so hopefully it wont be too long until there's real progress. :hammer:

oh yeah and the bike isn't rideable like I had hoped.. turns out it was the crank that stripped out, not the axle on the old wheel. :doah:

well guys finally got some kind of an update for you. Got all my bits and pieces together and put my engine back together again. I've yet to run it, but I don't expect any issues, if they're are it shouldn't be a hard fix. I'll fire her up before too long, and I'll make sure I get a video. :laugh:

AND here's another mockup photo for the hell of it. After looking at it I REALLY don't like the way the engine (especially the carb) sits, and that's about as close to flat as I can get it. All in all, it looks a little too sloppy in my opinion. So it gets me thinking, since I gotta cut up the frame anyway to correct my mounting mistake, maybe I'll just cut the entire down tube off and make a new one that swoops down like the boardtrackers and that should give me enough room to mount the engine flat... theoretically. I also have to extrude the rear of the frame to fit the drive sheave. I just placed an order with OMBW for a box of goodies, which just about completes my drive system. So hopefully before too long I can start cutting things up and making this into something.

fingers crossed. :hammer:

Got another OldMiniBikes package in the mail today, damn those guys are fast. :thumbsup: could not be more happier with their service (unless they started giving away complementary cupcakes.) :lol:

anyway, so now I've got most of what I need to hook up my two tanks besides the petcocks. And everything I need to set up the jackshaft. I just came to the realization that my jackshaft driver pulley might not match the 20" bicycle rim in belt size.. there's a slim chance I might find one that fits both but right now it's looking like I might need another drive pulley or a different drive sheave. :hammer: I'll see what I can dig up.

now it looks like all I need to really get this project rolling is a small sheet of 1/8" steel and some tubing to fix up my frame. Then add everything else as I go.

Your old mount could be made to work very easily. Drill your holes through your frame bigger and run a sleeve thru you frame that is longer than your cram thickness and you thickness of the webs on you angles. So let say you frame is 1" diameter tube and your angles are 3/16", make your tube sleeve to go thru your frame 1 3/4" long. Weld it into your frame center up, drill out your angle that you mounted your motor on to slip over the tube spacer and install them on your frame. Now use washers that will fit over the tube spacer the "backfill" the remaining tube space and this will sandwich the angles to the frame when you run the boot thru. This should be very stout in the frame and can be easily removed.