MTD refurb

delray

bikes do actually handle very good...….:scooter:
but that snowblower muffler got to go...…...:doah:
otherwise it's looking good.....:thumbsup:

cfh

I knew someone was going to comment about that muffler! I agree but it’s expensive and time-consuming to make a proper exhaust. And this one actually works fine. points in a reasonable direction. I still may make one but I have other bikes I need to do and this one will probably be sold

delray

I believe massacre purchase a Robertson torque tube for is mtd and it was originally for a rupp.
I wonder how well it fit?

I believe massacre purchase a Robertson torque tube for is mtd and it was originally for a rupp.
I wonder how well it fit?
Correct Sir.
I am using the Robertson exhaust and it does fit. It just touches the bracket that goes up under the seat. I want to header wrap it as I can feel the heat on my right leg when sitting. I will prob buy another one for my other HS50 as it went on easy and seems to work well.
Mine is just regular diameter pipe, no stages. The stages prob give better performance I would think

Last edited:
Hi cfh, The early (1969-197?) HS40 and HS50 engines have the intake port on the left. Later engines have the intake port on the right.
The slant intake from BWMS is for the early style engines. I don't think Tecumseh made slant intakes for the later engines as the minibike
makers were pretty much all done and over with by this time.

I’m sure if you asked the Robertson guy to make one for the exhaust on left, he could do it.

Or what about HS50 cam, would that reverse the location of the intake and exhaust valves?

Last edited:

cfh

Bought another MTD Columbia roller from a detroit guy. The frame was cracked in many places, got that all sorted out. Had it powder coated in a (somewhat) original orange color. Re-did the stickers from the front fender, clutch cover, and gas tank. The HS50 Tecumseh is a re-done snowblower motor that runs great. Overall came out well. The prior owner had already bought new shocks and tires and seat, which was nice. Made restoring this example a lot easier. Unfortunately he did not include the rear sprocket or torque converter. So i had to install a Comet tav30 and a 54 (instead of 60) tooth rear sprocket. I kept the 9 tooth jackshaft sprocket the same size. I guess this will give a slightly higher top speed, and slightly less off the line power. But frankly didn't notice a huge difference. The exhaust is a used rupp roadster exhaust. They fit really well on the MTD and come up on ebay a lot and not for much money.

I've never owned this model MTD with the removable handbars. It has a slightly different feel than the motocross style bar model. Still an amazingly great handling bike, these MTDs, and this one certainly is included in that.

Note the carb on this one. It's a Dellorto Ub22s2. Since the rupp style Dellorto Ua19s is frankly just too expensive (and hard to find), i wanted to play around with some different (and more affordable) Dellortos. This UB22s2 came up on ebay, complete with an angled mounting flange. It needed a couple parts, but overall was pretty complete. Clearly someone had put this on an angle mounted Tecumseh before, and the intake manifold was set up for that.

Since this is an "ub" style Dellorto, the float bowl arrangement is different than the "ua" version. If you look at a rupp you'll see this mounting style is different. I wish i could find out what these Dellorto abbreviations meant (ua, ub, s, s2, etc.)

So how does the ub22s2 work? really well! it's probably too much carb for the HS50, but it definitely gives a nice performance boast. Probably not worth the money (no Dellorto, regardless of the model, is cheap.)

Still have to figure out how to get an air cleaner on these Dellortos. The trumpet intake has no filter and no way to adapt one (easily). I'm sure there's a easy solution... cfh

Last edited:
Nice job, looks great… I’m sure it’s a comfortable ride as well. The Dellorto adds to the “coolness” factor. Maybe something simple as a piece of wire screen along with custom cut piece of foam in the velocity stack for the air filter

Bought another MTD Columbia roller from a detroit guy. The frame was cracked in many places, got that all sorted out.
Those bikes look great. Where were the cracks on the orange bike?

I just finished grinding down the nasty welds for about 6 large cracks on my project. 1 of the welds was built up almost an inch thick, Crazy! All the cracks are on the frame rails or steer tube. Looks like the steer tube had been completely wripped off and broke a 3 inch section out of one frame rail. Surprisingly the frame still seems to be even. Now I need to re weld some areas and cut a new steer tube before paint.

cfh

The motor plate had cracked by the footpegs. The guy before me had some monster predator motor in the bike, and it just ripped cracks in the motor plate. Also the head weld was cracked. and last the seat pan was a mess. That was from doing constant wheelies and scrapping the seat pan, as the bike leached out from under him! Obviously with a pretty stock HS50 none of these things are problems...

Here's my MTD line up. The right bike is a 'survivor' of sorts (though the engine is not original - i do have the original motor but it smokes pretty bad.)

cfh

I have an older MTD i was thinking of getting running. Has anyone converted the hardtail style rear end to have shocks? Seems pretty easy. But could really use a picture of the front seat pivot point and the rear seat shock mounts, so i can do this right. Thanks!

The motor plate had cracked by the footpegs. The guy before me had some monster predator motor in the bike, and it just ripped cracks in the motor plate. Also the head weld was cracked. and last the seat pan was a mess. That was from doing constant wheelies and scrapping the seat pan, as the bike leached out from under him! Obviously with a pretty stock HS50 none of these things are problems...

Here's my MTD line up. The right bike is a 'survivor' of sorts (though the engine is not original - i do have the original motor but it smokes pretty bad.)

They look great :thumbsup:

CHF your MTD came out very nice. I have the same bike in the same shape you started with. I want to bring it back to life for my grand kids.
You mentioned using a china TAV 30 torque converter. Can you tell me please the belt used with this set up?

Thanks,
Mike

cfh

With a 3/4” series 30 torque converter, I am running belt number 203592. I have changed my mind and sometimes I had 203593 installed. It kind of depends on the bike. You can measure to figure out which one would be better. My measurement is 8 1/2 inches from center of motor crank shaft to center of jack shaft. This land you right between those two belts. I’ve tried them both and I go back-and-forth as to which one I like better. If you have the motor all the way forward the 203593 works better. You have the motor back all the way the 203592 works better

https://www.gokartsupply.com/tcbelts.htm

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. It actually has the original fairbanks morse converter without the belt, but it looks pretty worn and I thought I would go with a series 30, but knew the belt with the kit would not be correct as the jackshaft to engine is a longer center to center on the bike. It has a decent non original 5HP Tecumseh engine with it, but no alternator version. Wouldn't have minded having lights working.