MTD Trail Flite Torque Converter Question?

Hello,

I just bought an MTD Trail Flite and it came with the driven clutch, but with no motor or drive clutch.

My question is, can I switch everything over to Comet parts, since they are available?
Or do I have to hunt down the correct drive clutch to match up with the MTD driven?
I read that they used a V plex torque converter, no idea where to go for that.

Thanks and have a nice day!

cfh

i'm probably in the same situation. i bought a trail flight with no motor, which means of course no drive TC elements. in the end, i'll probably just have to figure out how to adapt a china TAV30 to the bike. i do have the driven side, but it's probably not worth the trouble to "mix and match".

as for the wrong forum, i don't think so. the problem is, the people that know these answers aren't very talkative. and the talkative ones don't know the answers. i am surprised at how little actual technical info gets shared here, given the experience level. maybe people just don't want to get involved (and get dragged into some long winded thread), or they're so old school they can't type, or something else...

Last edited:
My question is, can I switch everything over to Comet parts, since they are available?
Hey massacre, you know how us old school types are, cant figure out how to turn on the computer. :thumbsup:

I'd ask [MENTION=339]delray[/MENTION] because he's done it before.

Here's a V Plex set for sale, recently, by a guy who made the conversion. [MENTION=17975]Sprocket86[/MENTION]

If you do a Google search specifying this forum, you will find several links to the subject. I don't know shit about V Plex, but I have done several swaps from proprietary systems, as well as a TC 99, and the overarching issue is belt width, and frame or plate modifications resulting in larger Comet driven sizes. All very "do-able."

Sprocket86

FYI Comet 30 series asymmetrical drive and driven clutches work great.

I had to have a custom made 5/8ths jack shaft fabbed up to mount the driven pulley.

I used a Comet pn# 203593 belt and it works excellent. I'd like to compare the performance of a Comet 30 series set up to an original Vplex.

Well it says Fairbanks-Morse on the 6” driven, and is a 5/8” shaft. It looks like it might be bent a little bit and there is a time crunch with this build. So i’ll Prob use Comet stuff for now since I can get it quick and I am familiar with it.
The cover might me tough, will a stock TAV cover fit on the bike or do I have to make one?
Thanks

I know the Tav2 plastic covers wont fit as the crankshaft to jackshaft center line distance is to far apart without having to modify the cover.

I'm about to find out if the stock stamped steel belt cover will fit, without interference over the comet 30 series driver/driven.

Thanks Cheezy i’ll hit you up later, I might want to put it back to stock someday

I just ordered a ton of stuff from OldMiniBikes warehouse for the bike, brake handles cables grips shocks, bearings sprocket chain etc

Last edited:
Thanks Cheezy i’ll hit you up later, I might want to put it back to stock someday

I just ordered a ton of stuff from OldMiniBikes warehouse for the bike, brake handles cables grips shocks, bearings sprocket chain etc
No prob....Just let me know. I have a couple of them somehow...lol

I know the Tav2 plastic covers wont fit as the crankshaft to jackshaft center line distance is to far apart without having to modify the cover.

I'm about to find out if the stock stamped steel belt cover will fit, without interference over the comet 30 series driver/driven.
You can still use a plastic cover, you just need to cut the back out of it and fab up some way to mount it. I put a plastic cover on my Wards 525 as the center to center distance was more than the cover was designed for. Here is a picture, you can see the cut cover in it. Works just fine :)
Danford1

Last edited:

delray

if you do decide to run a V-PLEX it does look to take a odd size width belt. just a hair over a 5/8 belt width. I think if you got the right 5/8 belt it would still maybe work ok/good.
here is the original papers that came with my 71 mtd/Columbia bike. one thing I always remember about riding this bike as a kid was how it shift into a higher gear,almost like a chevy two........speed:laugh: bike felt so fast as a kid riding it...:scooter:

one thing I always remember about riding this bike as a kid was how it shift into a higher gear,almost like a chevy two........speed:laugh: bike felt so fast as a kid riding it...:scooter:
:thumbsup: When my grand kids come down, I am always envious at how damn quick a Briggs 2.5 HP is with a 60-LB kid twisting the throttle.