MTD/Western Flyer resto mod

Hey all. Thanks for stopping by.
My dad bought me this minibike for me back when I was 12. I rode it for a while, but it started to have issues sucking gas and at the time I had no idea how to fix it. So I parked it in the shed until I let my younger brother-in-law take it and play with it. It is now back in my possesion and finally going to be fixed up. I'll apologize in advance because I wasn't a member of the forums when I took everything apart. I took a few pics, but not as many as I probably would have if I was planning on this thread. As I said I currently have it just about completely disassembled. I am planning on painting it somewhat like my motorcycle which is blue with black and white as secondary colors. I'm not going to get too crazy, robably just going to scuff it up and use it as practice with a paint gun I got at Christmas.

Had/has a B&S 5hp 135200 series engine (not flat top). My brother-in-law has about a dozen of these things in the shop. He thinks he put a nylon/plastic cam in this one. I have no idea how well it'll perform, but he says it'll rev faster due to having less rotating mass. I plan to have a spare head milled flat (the heads on these engines are identical to flatheads, but have a small lip that runs around the valves/combustion chamber it is roughly .015" tall. By having that lip milled I'll basically have made a flathead (which is much more cost-effective than buying one). I am also planning to mildly port the valves and shave the eyebrows from the block. Probably other things later on as well.

Had to go through all the fuel system because my brother and father-in-law used RTV as a gasket between carb and the fuel tank. They didn't know until I informed them that gasoline will eat RTV.

The carb is completely taken apart and I've got diaphrams in the mail. Today I gave every metal part a soak in the ultrasonic bath. If you haven't used one of these to clean a carb, I highly reccomend adding one to your work bench. After the bath I let it dry and sprayed it out with carb cleaner.

Tank has also been cleaned out really good with water/screws/water/dish soap/water and more water to get the RTV slime out of it. It was literally about the consistancy of my baby son's boogers.

That's all for tonight. It's past my bed time :)

Last edited:
Actually, when my dad bought it it had the harbor freight twist throttle with poorly fit grips that would slide as you attempted to accelerate. Eventually the part that held the cable broke off and I replaced it with a brake lever from a bicycle.

While my brother-in-law had it he put a twist throttle back on, but I gave that back to him for his recently acquired Doodlebug which came with no throttle whatsoever.

This thumb throttle we had in the shop from a Honda ATC that we no longer have. I'm not too picky on throttle styles, but I liked the idea of using a thumb rather than a brake lever. Although I've never tried a thumb on a bike before, only atv's. At some point I may put a twist throttle back on.....maybe.

Nothing real significant to report today. Got the carb all dried up and put back together minus the diaphram. Also did some work on the fenders. The biohazard emblem on the front fender has now been removed and the fenders are mostly straight again thanks to a hammer and visegrips. Honestly, It was surprisingly easy to do. Granted, this won't be a show piece by any means, but it looks good and I'm happy with them. I may have more work to do on the frond depending on mounting location. I'll have to do a little more research.

This weekend I should be able to go to town for some degreaser and a #35 master link.

Also got a seat ordered although I'm fairly sure I'll have to modify the mounting a good bit. Also ordered a cable pin for a band brake. I already have a good band in the shop with the REAL braking material, not that rubber junk. The plan is to make a simple mount off a side cover bolt and just run the band on the clutch drum. Should be easy that way. I am re using a brake lever from a mountain bike and have a brand new cable. I'm excited to finally have brakes after 13 years of having to wear thick boots while riding lol.

Also put more thought into paint. I'd like a bright blue like, Sonic blue or Royal blue for the frame. White on the fenders and black on the wheels. I like the brighter colors on minibikes. We get enough cool points as is, but the extra flashiness really draws the eye IMO. I'll see It I can mock it up in Microsoft Paint and get it posted as somewhat of a guide.

Went to town and got a bunch of goodies. Engine degreaser, a make-shift mount for my Clutch/band brake, New bolts to mount my engine (I'll have to show you the old....thing that was terrible). New bolts for the fenders, paint, a master link for my chain, and some welding rods to reattach the rear fender mount. One side was cracked badly and has finally broke completely.

Not to get busy while I wait for my new seat and diaphragms to get here.

Okay, the frame has officially been de-greased and I've scuffed up all the parts for painting. Yeah, I'm just going to scuff and spray over the top. The frame has a good amount of pitting and I don't want to take the time to fix the rust on this bike.

Now I've got to take a grinder (probably my dremel actually) to clean up the rear fender bracket where it cracked and re-weld it. :grind: :weld:
I've never welded before, but I do have a stick welder and I just got some 3/32" 6011 rods for it. I'll need to practice up on some scrap pieces of square-tube before I run a weld on my minibike.

Who knows? If I get the hang of stick welding pretty well, I may build a bobber or chopper for a street legal mini. :shifty:

Last edited:

This sticker was the original on the front fender. It had been painted over and I was using a heat gun to remove it. I was actually hoping I could get the paint off and leave the sticker, but that wasn't happening. As you can see, It is definitely a MTD.

This is what I believe to be the original paint found under what I believe is the original sticker. The paint is a brown color with metal flake in it. MAN! I wish the bike was still in this condition all over. I'd love to do a complete restore back to original, but I'm simply not equipped to do it.

Well, I've got most of it painted and was ready to put it back together (at least the frame) but noticed the fork bolt was bent pretty good. Got a new one from a local shop so, maybe I can start reassembly soon.

Nothing too fancy on the paint since the frame had/has a lot of pitting and spatter that I didn't want to deal with. Just a scuff and respray kinda job.

The wheels were starting to look pretty nasty so, decided to paint them as well. I live in the country with lots of dirt roads to ride on, so I decided to use bedliner in stead of paint. Hoping that using bedliner will prevent chipping. I think the texture of the bedliner looks pretty good too. **Side note** The wheel on the right in NOT a mini bike wheel. That is a wheel on my son's Go-Kart that I will fix up for him in a few years (He's currently only 8 months old). The wheels on my mini bike were much, much worse than that.

Last edited:

Didn't get a whole lot done today.All I really accomplished is to get the wheels mounted back on.

Front fender is still bleeding red through a little bit so I sprayed it some more. I think I'm just gonna end up calling it good-enough. This is all gonna be a 20-20 job anyway (that is, it'll look Okay from 20 feet away while moving at 20mph).

Got the wrong size bolts for the engine mounts :doah: 3/8" in stead of 5/16".

I am also still waiting for my carb diaphragms to come in the mail. It's been WAAAY too long. I really wish I had just bought one from the local shop.

FINALLY got my carb diaphrams in the mail today. It's only been a few weeks:blink: I put the engine back on the frame and put the fenders back on. I'm hoping this weekend I'll have time to really put it together. I'll be sure to take and add more pictures..