Mud Bug trike

Hello everyone, I just picked up a 1971 mud bug. This is in rough running condition motor wise but the brakes are in dire need of repair! I removed the bands and sanded the drum and band, still no brakes! Anyone have any pics of the brake setup to make sure it is together correctly?

Welcome to the forum John :thumbsup: Pic's of your setup would help us see whats going on with your brakes :thumbsup: This is the best pic I have of my Wards T555 brake :doah:

Yeah pics would help.

Be sure the cable is actuating from the right direction, the rotation of the drum should want to wrap the band around even tighter when it is applied....sort of "self -energinzing".(see pic above)

If you have it backwards it will want to "unwind" the band giving poor results.

The OldMiniBikes Warehouse (link top of page) has new brake bands and drums in stock.:thumbsup:

Thank you for some info. I will take pics later and try to post? My cables don't pull directly on the band, they connect to sort of butterfly bracket that intern pulls on band? I believe it is factory set up? The band's seem to be more tractor related than what is available for carts, they look like a woven fabric instead of regular brake material?

Hello JohnM : Well the bands are made with a material that is woven and always have been. The pictures are just about a must and close up details of the bracket. When it comes to a bracket you can have a bracket that increases your leverage or reduces your leverage they are called a bell crank. Here to make sure you Mud Bug runs right.
Steve :scooter:

I have a mudbug that has a factory brake set up, but it has individual rotors and calipers for each rear wheel with independent levers on the handle bars that work like cutting brakes , all the mudbugs I've seen have that setup, maybe the rear end was changed or its not a mud bug?

Mine also has independent levers but has drums on the back not discs. From what I have seen they put discs on 72 & 73 models?

That's what I figured also. I have placed an order already. I resurfaced the drum and sanded the band again but when I put it back together the band just glazed up and wouldn't stop.
Thank all who has helped me with this. I will let you know how things work out.

Now I'm about to give up! I received my brake bands from OldMiniBikes today and installed them as well as better cable to the bottom of band to pull on. All back together off for a ride and again brakes barely slow it down on the flat? Could my cables be stretching out that much?

View attachment 62556 .

The first pic is how the brake cable pulls the bracket that pivots and intern pulls on the cable I have attached to the band. I figured this would stop on a dime after cleaning up the drums and installing new bands?

So, new bands new ,premium levers, new cables and still no brakes! The drum just spins within the band? My Robron cart has 1 drum and band and it stops fine? Could the rough surface of the drum be affecting this? Should I smooth it out? I'm out of ideas! The drum has a hub that is bolted to the axle, there is no key way so after 100 bucks I'm not even sure if I can convert the bands to disc brake? I cannot even get the hubs off of the axle from being galled by rust! Please help!:shrug:

Update on the brakes. I finally have them working! I ordered 7mm outer housing and 2.5mm inner cable for motorcycle repairs and used band brake cable clamps from OldMiniBikes as the barrels in the levers. They still don't lock the rear wheels like I think it should but I can ride it now. Thanks everyone for the help!