MudBug rebuild

20150531_110137.jpg
Is this a chain tensioner between the jackshaft and axle? I dont have one on my engine mount, but its the only thing i can think of that goes there.

Ok thank you. Well i added up all the parts I need from OldMiniBikes warehouse, $490. Wow this stuff adds up fast. And thats not including paint, body, jackshaft, tires and wheels. Speaking of a jackshaft, could someone point me towards what i need for a jack shaft? Mine didn't come with one and I'm a bit lost on how it all goes together with the bearings and locking collars etc.

Yea I'm addicted. Already have another trike to restore after this. I cant wait either, will be ordering a bunch of parts and hopefully be getting a body next week once I have the cash again. And I'm torn between the 13 hp 420cc and 8hp 301cc motors.
How about a 16hp Briggs V twin? Or is that too big?

A 16 horse Twin would be sweet!! And yes you're right, parts do add up quick! I was going to build my own version of a Tri-Sport or a T555 from scratch but it was way cheaper to buy my used RTS!

Shawn

Well I'm having trouble uploading pictures from my phone. But I have welded the new foot rests back in the pegs, cut and bent the handle bars, and cut the tubing and plates for the forks. Just waiting on my wheel, tires and fender to show up to finish the forks. Also have some misc parts coming like bearings, handle bar grips and brake levers. This weekend I'll order the parts to finish the rear axle, like the sprocket, hub studs, and disc disc brakes. And hopefully pick up some paint and clear to start painting in the next week or 2. Still aiming for the 4th of july for the big family gtg, but idk.

20150611_181437.jpg
So I made some more progress when i got these in the mail from a bikebudy. Still waiting on parts and flake so i can start painti painting. All the metal work is done, so i just need to paint, buy parts and buy a body.

Well your talking a whole different story going with that big of engine that would require a Comet 40 series torque converter and they only come symmetrical style and I would thing it would also need a 3/4 inch jack shaft and I would suggest nothing less than hydraulic disc brakes. And the cash register is still dinging away and you would be pushing the limits of a peerless differential and that should be a full 1 inch model.
I guess I forecast rain on your HP parade.
Steve

Have you been able to locate any stock parts for your mud bug?
I am considering calling mtd tomorrow as I need a wheel hub.
I haven't looked for mtd parts specifically, as most of what I need are general parts i can find on OldMiniBikes warehouse. The only thing I'm having trouble finding are 3/8" hub studs.

Well your talking a whole different story going with that big of engine that would require a Comet 40 series torque converter and they only come symmetrical style and I would thing it would also need a 3/4 inch jack shaft and I would suggest nothing less than hydraulic disc brakes. And the cash register is still dinging away and you would be pushing the limits of a peerless differential and that should be a full 1 inch model.
I guess I forecast rain on your HP parade.
Steve
Thank you for the input steve, i was hoping you would chime in and give a few pointers. I definitely dont want to start blowing up parts or needing extra beefy stuff. What might you recommend for a max hp if 13 is to much? Can i run 8-10 safely and reliably?

2SlickNick

I haven't looked for mtd parts specifically, as most of what I need are general parts i can find on OldMiniBikes warehouse. The only thing I'm having trouble finding are 3/8" hub studs.
If unable to find I will probably just use standard 3/8 bolts for my hubs. If I get any ino from mtd tomorrow I will let you know.

Also I love what you are doing wih this build, keep up the good work.

Yea i was thinking of using standard grade 5 or 8 bolts and welding the hex head to the hub. I've seen that's how some hubs come nowadays. And thanks, really appreciate it. Put in a lot of hours in at work and home to get it just ready for paint and parts

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Now I could be wrong about this but, I would try 1970-72 Chev Nova / Chevelle wheel studs.

At most you may need to drill your Hub holes a little bigger ??

Wheel studs would be for the Drum brake Hub

Last edited: