MudBug rebuild

2SlickNick

What type of hub does it need? Welded? Pinned? Nut on the end? Modify an OldMiniBikes one. Standard and performance wheel hubs.
It is the pinned hub. It was so bad rusted on a BF hammer, gear puller, and torch could not free it up.
I had to cut two slices on the hub close to the axle to relieve some stressed areas. Then With more oil and bfh it came off.
I did manage to re weld the hub at those relief marks I cut in.
Should be good to go now.

Last edited:
Well Tri-Sport used the Tecumseh 8 HP engines on their small frame RTS units and that is a up-flow carb engine and it has a lot of torque and they used the Horstman brand of converters with 3/4 inch wide belts. As with any torque converter system proper and often service keeps them working proper.
Steve

Well Tri-Sport used the Tecumseh 8 HP engines on their small frame RTS units and that is a up-flow carb engine and it has a lot of torque and they used the Horstman brand of converters with 3/4 inch wide belts. As with any torque converter system proper and often service keeps them working proper.
Steve
Ok I'll start looking at engines in that ho range. And I've never heard of those tq's. I was thinking of using a tav2 system.

I am also in the process of restoring the mud bug. Interestingly enough, I just took the jack shaft out on Saturday. It is 5/8 inch thick by 10 5/16 inches long. I am planning on trying to find one that will work from one of the larger go kart parts companies. It looks like most of the bearings and other parts are mostly standard sizes. I put a few pictures in my mud bug album that shows how it goes together with the various spacers, sprockets and torque converter. Hope that helps! [

I am also in the process of restoring the mud bug. Interestingly enough, I just took the jack shaft out on Saturday. It is 5/8 inch thick by 10 5/16 inches long. I am planning on trying to find one that will work from one of the larger go kart parts companies. It looks like most of the bearings and other parts are mostly standard sizes. I put a few pictures in my mud bug album that shows how it goes together with the various spacers, sprockets and torque converter. Hope that helps! [
Thanks for the help, but I'm having trouble finding your pictures. Could you PM them to me or post them in here, which ever is easier. And good luck with your restoration.

OldMiniBikes sells them. I just buy longer ones and cut off what I don't need...

20150616_170137.jpg
Well my batch of parts came in. Tire, handle bar grips, rear axle bearings, front fender, front wheel bearings and a front wheel. My only problem is my front eheel doesn't have a valve stem and i could have sworn when i ordered it the picture had a wheel with one in it. Is this something i can go buy or do i need a tube? My tire is tubeless though.

I PM'd you...Would like to post pics here, but can't figure out how to do it...When I try, I get a message about URLS not being allowed...Any suggestions?

Well I made a lot more progress today. I'd like to take credit for all of it, but my foreman helped with all the welding since his 20yrs experience trumps my 2 months. Just about finished up the last of the welding and metal work. I'll hopefully finish tomorrow before work.
mudbug forks.jpg

Also has any one had trouble with wheels from OldMiniBikes? I bought 4x6 steel wheel that was 2 pieces welded together. And when i put it on the axle and spun it, it was as wobbly as a wagon wheel. I couldn't imagine doing more than 5mph with this thing.

Last edited:
The tire isn't seated perfectly as we just put it on by hand at work. But tthe wheel is very wobbly and I'm guessing welded crocked. I'm half tempted to take the tire of it and messure it. But I'll leave it for now until I'm done with the project. Make a good roll around wheel until the trikes done.

Well i finally finished up the work on the forks, i think. Got the cover plate on and the gussets. Cut up the wheel spacers and everything fits perfectly. Now i just need to order parts this weekend and get the rear end assembled and hopefully get this thing being a rolling frame.

20150625_175136.jpg