Murray Track 2 Brake Conversion

Hey guys so I'm still pretty new to the whole mini bike scene. I picked up my track 2 off the side of the road downtown for $50. It was in great shape and ran decent. Well after about a year or 2 now of riding the bike mostly just at nascar events the old 3.5 tecumseh was seeing better days and really showing its age. So today I went down to harbour frieght and grabbed myself a prediator 6.5. despite what other forums say I was able to fit in the motor in the stock mounting holes and the stock exhaust aswell i was able to make fit. granted i need alittle help from my hammer for the stock exhaust to clear the frame but regardless it did fit. i had to cut out a small section of the frame a little bit to allow better clearance for the chain as it was rubbing with the bigger motor sitting further forward in the chassis. so i got everything in and up and running broke in the motor for a full tank of gas and changed the oil. I was really itching to take it for a ride to see what kinda difference going from the worn 3.5 to the brand new 6.5 motor would make. and holy cow i was blown away the think friggin rips up and down the road, tears it up on the grass and even had no problem tearing threw some mud holes. now hears my new problem this thing is so much more powerful and WAY faster than the stock setup the stock band brake is junk. its just way under sized for the job. i did some google searches for brake upgrades and saw pictures of disc brakes installed but no write ups or parts listed. I really really want to upgrade to disc brakes but have not the slightest idea of where to start. any help or advise would be extremely appreciated. thanks guys for your time and help.

i dont know what the bore size of the shaft is but i do know the bolt partern for the stock band brake is 4 by 2in cant even find a rotor with this pattern theyre all 3in or 2 7/8 is the smallest i found. i also see guys doing the caliper on the sprocket itself anyone care to chime in on this??

CarPlayLB

I have the stock drum brake on my Murray...I have a predator with a cam and pipe...I am 270+ lbs, and I can lock the back wheel up! I made a strut to go from the motor plate to the pivot point for the cable. Gets rid of any play and lets you get some real brakes! I did use new parts ...forgot where I got them, but they are from a Carters Bros go kart

MKW

That's a great idea CarPlayLB!
Not to hijack, but where can I get bolt caps like you have on the rear axle??

Mike

when the belt sits on the drum should there be space or should it be sitting on it maybe this is my problem simply in the adjustment of the belt?

CarPlayLB

It is a bunch of fine tune adjustments to make it work...too tight it drags, too loose, no grip. I also have an aftermarket pit bike lever that does not flex much. Really think about adding a strut...that was a huge improvement for me!

When I adjust it, I make it so the hand lever is tight on the drum about halfway in its travel...that way if I need to stop I can really "jump" on it.

The purple bike here also has a Benelli front wheel with a drum brake I added that because my first Murray was such a poor braker...but that was before I added the strut. Are both parts of your brake in good condition? If the pad is glazed, you can try sanding it. If it has oil on it, you can try to replace it!

I like that strut idea. I'm gonna look at mine when I get home and take some measurements and also try to clean up the band and drum. The brakes on mine are horrible!! The bolt measurement I came up with is 4 bolt and 2-3/4" spacing. Nothing measures that in the disc brake world from my searching, as said above 2-7/8 is the closest I've found. If I can get the band brake to work it'll keep me from investing in a disc setup. Even tho a disc would be so much nicer lol.