murry mini bike engine help

what clutch size should i order if i'm gonna use the stock chain and what would be a good engine ? and what size shaft should it have sorry if this is the wrong place to ask i'm new here:thumbsup:

its one of the (murry track2) ones

ok i did some looking was thinking this # 41 chain 3/4 Bore 10 tooth Sprocket clutch with

this engine : link is stright from hf 212cc OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine - EPA

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS I JUST WANNA GET THIS BIKE UP AND RUNNING FOR A KID IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD THAT IS TO POOR TO BUY A MINI BIKE AND I FEEL BAD FOR HIM

Last edited:
Welcome:thumbsup: How old is the kid? Because a 6.5hp Murray is not a kid's minibike unless that kid has ridden for some time, a 3hp briggs or the Harbor Freight 79CC Predator will move one along just fine. You cannot de-tune the 6.5 sufficiently with the throttle stop screw and a kid will get a screwdriver out and undo that easily. You will need a 5/8 bore clutch with #41 sprocket to fit the murray rear sprocket and chain.

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

I have a good used clutch off a Murray...PM me for a deal!

BTW, it is #41 chain and 3/4 shaft. These are the clutches that have the zirk fitting so they can be lubed. Let me know if you need other parts...I may have them!

Welcome:thumbsup: How old is the kid? Because a 6.5hp Murray is not a kid's minibike unless that kid has ridden for some time, a 3hp briggs or the Harbor Freight 79CC Predator will move one along just fine. You cannot de-tune the 6.5 sufficiently with the throttle stop screw and a kid will get a screwdriver out and undo that easily. You will need a 5/8 bore clutch with #41 sprocket to fit the murray rear sprocket and chain.
you sure its 5/8 bore? and hes like 13 200 lbs or so good size teen

you sure its 5/8 bore? and hes like 13 200 lbs or so good size teen
Your deal but a 13yo 200# kid can still be quite inexperienced, so unless he's had prior riding experience I would bet a 6.5 will be too much power as low geared as Murrays are. Prior to doing my Murray engine swap it had a 3.5hp Tecumseh and would carry me along fine. I'm #215 and my 6.5 Murray would wheelie with the twist of the throttle. Friends and relatives have crashed all my 6.5 powered bikes to the point I put briggs 3.5hp engines on two and will not allow anyone to ride my personal bike.

Your deal but a 13yo 200# kid can still be quite inexperienced, so unless he's had prior riding experience I would bet a 6.5 will be too much power as low geared as Murrays are. Prior to doing my Murray engine swap it had a 3.5hp Tecumseh and would carry me along fine. I'm #215 and my 6.5 Murray would wheelie with the twist of the throttle. Friends and relatives have crashed all my 6.5 powered bikes to the point I put briggs 3.5hp engines on two and will not allow anyone to ride my personal bike.
ah ok thanks for the info ill just get him one of the duddlebugs and keep the murray for me then if they are good for adults i'm about 6,5 so not sure ill fit good but hell its worth a try

alright forgot to ask this i think the backsprocket is the stock 72 tooth

if i was to get a clutch for the pred 212 would this work 12 tooth 3/4''#41 clutch
lmk im not the best with mini bikes

TomH

alright forgot to ask this i think the backsprocket is the stock 72 tooth

if i was to get a clutch for the pred 212 would this work 12 tooth 3/4''#41 clutch
lmk im not the best with mini bikes
Yeah it will work the more teeth the clutch has the better. With the big sprocket in the rear, they aren't real fast top end. It won't be real fast whichever sprocket on the engine, a 12 tooth is what I have, I bought the "greaser" clutch which involves drilling a hole in the output shaft on the motor which isn't that easy to do. I couldn't do it with a hand drill, I had to use my drill press. A regular 12 tooth 3/4 shaft will work just fine, just keep it oiled up.

Last edited: