My Bug

We'll I remember when I was a kid I always wanted this yellow minibike chopper that one of the chain stores carried but the parents never agreed. So now that I'm a OLD kid I decided to get a mini for a pit bike at the track we race at. ( The wife was like my parents were in the past but oh well, she rides it now too!):scooter:
Instead of a clone I went with the Tecumsuh 6hp powersport on a yellow(go figure) bug. I like the way this motor sits in the bike & filling the gas is a breeze unlike the stock design. Motor is stock with a maxtorque clutch & one link removed. I didn't like the way the front fender was mounted so high so it's off for now but I'm thinking of mounting it closer to the tire like the rear one. Anyone else do that? Any pic's?

papajon

delray

:thumbsup:nice papajohn, i like how you can still use the factory gas tank. couple guys here have remounted there fenders. factory set up does look little off-set:doah:

Nice Job Papajohn.
I run mine with no fenders at all...I like the stripped look.
Check out the pic below.
cjtmini, senior member on this site, has done some nice fender repositioning...check his pictures
Ride it in good health!
Seeker
:rockon:

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
Here is another idea I am thinking about. Putting a 6" x3" split aluminum rim (either 3 or five spoke) with a 13 x 4 ribbed tire to give it that old big tire- small tire chopper look.
Would one of these rims fit a db? 5/8 bearing I'm assuming? I know I'll need to make spacers for the fork/rim width difference but will I still be able to use the stock front bolt?

papajon

No, I used a 5/8" x 8-3/4" axle. 2 1/4" spacers. I had to squeeze the forks in very little but it looks clean with no axle threads hanging out of the nuts.

papajohn

i was thinking about doing a pit bike front end on mine. we've got a junker one sitting at the house now that belongs to my roommate's buddy. i might try to get it off him for cheap and see if i can make it work. it's a little bit big, but making some spacers for it shouldn't be a problem.

Hey papajohn .. Did that motor mount right in to the DB30 or did you have to mod the plate ?
the mounting pattern is different than the stock 2.8. the mount plate that cjtmini offers for the 6.5 clone will work with the 6hp Tec PS motors. i did have to remove the tank for it to fit though.

here's a shot of mine installed with the plate.