My first project - any help is apprietiated

Engine is free and has compression
No spark original
Replaced coil, condensor, carb, points, fuel lines.
Engine fires but wont start and it backfires thru carb.
Sugestions??????

Done that when I had it off to replace all the ignition parts it was good to go.
Does anyone have a detailed process to set the points and coil timing.

MCF2891

Those bikes with the massive wheels and such have always been interesting to me. Looks like it'll be a smooth ride when its fixed!

Ok so I have decided that since thus unit sat 10 yrs untouched. I am going to just do a rebuild on the engine. I agree that it is probably out of time but I am sure the valves could use lapping and replace the springs. The governor is floppy so I am sure it needs attention also.

How hard is it going to be to find parts.
I would really like to replace the following:
Governor parts
Valves (or lap existing)
Valve springs
Piston and rings
Wrist pin
Gasket set

Where is best place to find these or is it not worth trying to find it all?

Thanks a bunch, this site is awesome. Looking at some if the before and after and reading some posts has really got me supper excited about the whole project.

I was going to pass. But I pulled the rope and the engine was free and had compression. The tires were holding air. I figured worse case I could sell the tires for 20 bucks each and only be out 10 bucks. After I bought it and spent some time researching what it is, I almost felt bad for not paying 200-300.
I guess I was just in right place at right time.

Well, it sure doesn't look pretty. How deep the scoring in the cylinder walls will determine whether you can salvage the block. Plenty of parts are available for this engine and you can get .010, .020 and .030 over pistons. I'd find a small engine machine shop and have them take a look at the block and give you a price to clean up the bore, if doable. If it's too much, there are several guys on the forum that may be able to help you out with a decent short block. You can find the blocks on e-bay, but buyer beware since you only see what the seller posts. Reputation is everything on this forum, so a seller here shouldn't screw you.

Any idea where to find parts. OldMiniBikes show .020 pistons but not available. I have not seen .030. Id anyone has a decent short block by all means let me know. I really think these will be too deep to bore.

Yeah, that block does look bad. You could certainly take it to any machine shop who does boring and get their opinion or have them measure the scoring. Here are a couple of ebay parts I saw this morning. That block looks pretty good and might just take a ten over bore and piston. Best to get the block, then measure it yourself, then get piston and rings as required.

.020 over pistons and rings: Tecumseh Std Piston w Rings 34542 NOS | eBay

Block: Tecumseh 8HP HM80 155174F Cylinder Crankcase Block 34348B | eBay