my go kart's new 11hp project.

maddcarson

ok so got started on most of the rear end already but i finally got the motor mounted.
it was a pain in the ass to start it so i hooked up the batery from my mustang to it. still took alot of cranks to get it going. it would start, die out, start, die out and so on. but i finally got it started.

i will post a video later

maddcarson

yea all weld it down wen i can get or find a welder to weld it. right now i have one side bolted to the old motor mount and then two other bolts holding the engine on.

hey i done worse , ive used c clamps to hold a motor down . it dont work too good .
HEY a C clamp is better than one or two bolts... DO NOT!!!! go putting one bolt in and running a motor or even start one on the cement floor because they will vibrate and break the whole damn mounting ear of...... cast breaks.... shatters like glass.....

all i prety much need is the clutch and the nuts that go on the axle. I cant find the nuts for the right thread. i found the right size but wrong thread. Its a fine thread. CLutches are expensive.

:1orglaugh: i found a place online that has them i just havent ordered them yet. the project is at a standstill right now cause i need to buy a clutch and im about $40 short. i want to repaint it later on after i get all the parts on and have some fun with it. i just dont know what colors?

Anybody want to give any imput on what colors ur welcome to do so.

well i might put the go kart on hold just for a little cause i need to either find a place i can get "A" piston ring not a set cause the bottom ring with the spring in it broke. :sadcrying4: Or i go spend a little more money and buy a new Powersport engine.

Was that 11 Hp out of the box?

I was looking at a 13hp from Harbor Freight, and may get one later this spring, as I was thrilled with the performance of the 6.5 Greyhound motors, I've had 3 now, and all 3 fired on the first or second pull, right out the box, of coarse I had to add the gas and oil, but I'm wondering if those bigger HP motors are more difficult to start??? I like your Idea of 11 horses pulling a cart, kind of like a Tim Allen thing,, MORE POWER!! urah!! but you may want to consider going from the clutch to a kind of like jack shaft 36 tooth sprocket then that would have like a 16 tooth sprocket welded to it ant that goes to another 36 tooth sprocket on the drive wheel, first time I saw that set up was on my Manco cart that I traded for last summer, and let me tell you that thing has all the power and speed that cart needs, I have the drive sprocket in the shop for repairs, and I'm picking it up on wednesday, so I can't post a pic of it yet, but will, maybe this weekend, I kind of want to get the cart running, maybe I'll get a chance to chase away some of this God Forsaken snow we got here in this tiny little town of Bellville Ohio, the boys are coming down this weekend and I hope to have some fun with them and the carts, hurry up and get that thing going, I see you have a few of us wondering what it will do?? bet one thing tho, I'll bet you're grinning from ear to ear after you ride that for a while!!!
Dave

maddcarson

all hopefully have it done in the next three weeks and all post a video of it going up and down the street. I think its gunna haul some major ass cause its got a 14 tooth clutch going to the same size sprocket. i havent mesured the sprocket but i think its a 62 tooth im not sure. If i bust a wheelie i will post that video on here faster than a japanese animae show.

maddcarson

Question. I have a big black box under the head and has a tube coming from the top of the gas tank and another one that goes to the air filter housing. Does that box do anything to performance or fuel millage or what. Or should i take the box off and plug the hole on the top of the gas tank?

Neck

Growing up is optional
Sounds like a carbon canister, It's supposed to catch fuel vapors from the gas tank and let the engine suck them up and burn them rather than release them to the atmosphere and cause pollution. I would not plug the line to the tank! it will cause it to vacuum lock, as that is probably the only tank vent.