My harbor freight porta band

We'll i have been needing a metal band saw for a long time now . I had a stair railing project to do and was going to have to cut 1/4" 2x2 tube , so I got a HF porta band for 99 bucks .
After all the pieces were cut down in length I got started on building a stand an table for it . You can buy a stand , table setup from swag off-road , cost to much . So I went online and found some pics of HF porta band setups .
This was pretty simple to make and only took a hour to do cause I already had most the stand built .

Nice stand David!! I love my saw, I bought it to cut thick aluminum! Works great!! I'll have to make me a stand! Did you buy a good set of after market blades? The stock one is junk!!

Last edited:
I have and use a multitude of saws. My go to saw is the tried and true 3" air die grinder cut off tool. Spend the extra money and get GOOD wheels. I use and really, really like the 3M 1/32" 3" thin wheels. They have a green color to them. They cut a nice thin kerf and last longer than you would think as long as you don't force them into what ever you are cutting. https://www.amazon.com/3M-1989-Gree...=1-1&keywords=3m+cut+off+wheels+3"+1/32wheels

For heavier cutting I use a good old Harbor Freight electric 4" angle grinder with a 4" cut off wheel. It cuts fast thru 1/4" steel.
I also use a sawzall and hacksaw. I do have a plasma cutter but haven't used it much. It is a cheapy that works Very well. I can recommend it as a budget plasma. The kerf is wider than an expensive plasma cutter but if you are just hacking something off it doesn't matter. Very fast quick cuts. If you use a straight edge as a guide you can get some straight cuts too.
Lotos LTP5000D 50Amp Non-Touch Pilot Arc Plasma Cutter Dual Voltage 1/2 Inch Cut

I forget, I have an old cheap China horzontal/vertical bandsaw that works just fine as others have mentioned. I have it probably 20 years too. I use that when I think of it. It isn't as easy to get to in my crowed small garage. There usually is something in front of it I would have to move to get to it. I'm lazy so I'll grab my 3" die grinder most of the time. It is easy to get and cuts well.

Danford1

Last edited: