My modified DB forks are closer to done!

I cut the new DB forks for the Arco lowers to go onto, I used the upper spring cups off the Arco forks as the bars on them were bent badly. I got them free after carefullly torching then grinding the excess material away, I slid them onto the freshly cut DB forks and am waiting to weld em. I'm out of argon so I cant weld em yet! I am still debating cutting the DB bars off and getting some risers and cool bars, I'll probably just leave them alone and have them powdercoated chrome. I like them so far, I'm tired of the DB rattling the fillings out of my teeth! I'm gonna use a different wheel as the axle holes are 5/8", luckily I have a couple of the Arco front one piece steel wheels and can run a tube with the turf saver! Next I'll be looking to put a springer seat on it or devising a way to spring a regular seat!

Great job there SN. :thumbsup: :biggrin:
Thanks EZ! I'll be puting them on my blue DB once they're welded, stripped and powdercoated chrome. I need suspension badly and did'nt want to put pit/pocketbike forks on it, it would kill the old school vibe! I like the ones I've seen done that way, just not for me!:thumbsup:

Damn those turned out pretty good.. Next you'll need an assembly line.. :shifty:
Thanks! I am considering it, those lowers would be tough to reproduce without an investment in a die to get the crimp just right. Rawtone is the guy to pull something like that off, he has a die or something and makes some beautiful crimps on his forks! I'm just happy to have gotten this far and will be welding them in the next couple of days, still considering hacking the DB bars and adding risers and some sweet bars!:thumbsup:

I have decided to keep the bars factory, I just like the way they are positioned so why change what works. I welded them and will be painting them rather than powder coating them, too much money for a DB IMO! So as soon as I reduce the axle holes I'll paint em and install them. I'm just gonna weld some washers over the 5/8" holes so I can run the stock DB wheel out front. The next set I order I'll be doing a leading link springer setup just to try it, I've seen one or two done that way. I'd take pics but my batteries are gone, probably in a game controller!:doah:

The springs limit the downward motion, what you meant I think is how is it all held together. The spring cups both welded on the forks and the lowers have tabs that the springs twist into and they seat once you've turned them enough. They work quite well and the design was widely used back in the day! So the springs and the tabs work together to hold it all together.:thumbsup:

They are done and on the blue DB, they ride nice! Took some areas I nornmally have to slow way down on and smoothed them right out. Off road it's much better but needs a springer seat to complete the effect but it rides far better than it did!

I will continue to improve the DB till I'm happy with it, I'd like to start a thread to see who had done the most mods and improver thier DB the most! I'm not near done so it'll have to wait! Anyway here they are, looks old school and rides great! :thumbsup:

Those look great. Are they stiff enough?
Thanks! Yeah I'm 210# and cannot bottom out, the lowers, spring cups and springs were off an Arco EZ rider that had badly bent bars. So I re-purposed them! I've had em nearly done for a while and got tired of looking at em and wondering how the'd ride so I made it happen! I will have to touch up some paint but otherwise they look great, looks like they were always there and that's what I was going for!:thumbsup:

Glad to hear your shocks are up and running. I thought that I would get the most from my rear ones but I have to admitt the help the front's did really made OHVing come around. I'm now working on a swing arm to get the most of my rears--uphill on washboard will slow you way down and a spring loaded swing arm is the best help for that. If you think you might go swing arm one day then just go there instead of two re-does, one to suspended seat then to full arm. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the shock to seat but now I what that last full measure of help.
Wide , large diameter , low presure tires are a big help too-and your the one with the extra power for it! You can always blow the tire up for pavement work.

Glad to hear your shocks are up and running. I thought that I would get the most from my rear ones but I have to admitt the help the front's did really made OHVing come around. I'm now working on a swing arm to get the most of my rears--uphill on washboard will slow you way down and a spring loaded swing arm is the best help for that. If you think you might go swing arm one day then just go there instead of two re-does, one to suspended seat then to full arm. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the shock to seat but now I what that last full measure of help.
Wide , large diameter , low presure tires are a big help too-and your the one with the extra power for it! You can always blow the tire up for pavement work.
Mine has been a street fighter up till now, I rode it in the field and it's much better than before. Still rough but I can groom it with the tractor some more. I'm putting the nobbies back on for the fall and winter and may get a 70 tooth sprocket from AGK or buy a later stock one for trails and snow. My 66 tooth will allow for a good top speed but it wont pull my newer yellow one cloned with a 70 tooth in the short run but it'll run it down and keep going. I saw your rear shock and it looks like it'd work, it's not too unlike the badger but it needs cleaning up some. There seems to be no good way to put rear shocks in tight to the frame or inside better yet. I'm gonna put a saddle type springer off ebay, we have a custom bobber with one and it does provide some comfort. So combined with these old school springs it should be relatively comfortable to ride both in the field or the street.:thumbsup:

I had to modify the shock set up a few times to get it to work right and with out welding. In the end the finish was off. I weld now and I'm going to attach the lower end of the shock to the top side, not the outside of the swing arm,that should tighten it up but I'm still going to leave the seat high up, but with an install that looks better- it fits me as an adult better. It will get a blasting and paint at that point. I was going to buy a Badger frame and arm -modify the arm and weld the back end to the bug but Serengeti has the bike held up, my guess they are debating how to solve engineering issues.

They are done and on the blue DB, they ride nice! Took some areas I nornmally have to slow way down on and smoothed them right out. Off road it's much better but needs a springer seat to complete the effect but it rides far better than it did!

I will continue to improve the DB till I'm happy with it, I'd like to start a thread to see who had done the most mods and improver thier DB the most! I'm not near done so it'll have to wait! Anyway here they are, looks old school and rides great! :thumbsup:
ok i am such a newbie :doah: in these two pics i was trying to figure out what kind on engine is on your blue db. it is a HF clone, right? and all you did was take off the gas tank? am i even close?

TT

ok i am such a newbie :doah: in these two pics i was trying to figure out what kind on engine is on your blue db. it is a HF clone, right? and all you did was take off the gas tank? am i even close?

TT
Yes it's a clone with the tank removed, the fuel tank is a motorized bicycle unit that was slightly modified. The DB is almost like I want it but I'm gonna repower it soon with the Briggs 5.5ohv that I had in it before. It rides so nice now with the springs up front it's like night and day! Here are a few pics of it as it has progressed.
It will likely never be done!:thumbsup: