My new MX seat pan, from can to pan..

125ccCrazy

Yesterday I had a can of resin, sheet of matting and one broken seat pan for my two bonanzas.... after glassing a patch on the orig pan to get it back in shape as it was nearly broke in half I decided to make a new pan for the other bonanza when I eventually start on that one.... Well here is what I came up with using the old pan as a mold..... The new one is thicker especially in the rump area where the orig pans were kind of weak from lack of support....

Original pan
View attachment 10109
View attachment 10110

New Pan
View attachment 10111
View attachment 10112
View attachment 10113

bandit 40

Again Ill say Randi ,you did a great job:smile: on that reproduction seat pan, that is alot better built than the original :thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

Yeah, same style as the chrome ones... and I do have one decent extra that we could use as a pattern.

If you can post a pic or drop me a pm and I'll give ya my email to send the pic to.... One word of warning.... I don't have a way of gel coating parts, the finish would be simular to my seat pan and would need some minor filling...

I'm gonna make some glass fenders for my Wildcat 500, I only got one with the bike and they are HTF..... I'd rather have chrome but painted looks good too..

mardyn
Again Ill say Randi ,you did a great job:smile: on that reproduction seat pan, that is alot better built than the original :thumbsup:
Nice !:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Guys..... didn't turn out too bad for about an hour and a half work...

Now I have the itchy and scratchys LOL..... Heat+fiberglass grinding=:thumbdown:

delray

nice job:thumbsup:125ccCrazy
i made a repro fiberglass mtd cover. a guy can make just about anything out of fiberglass:smile:

mtd made two different covers. my cover is the older style(bottom cover)

125ccCrazy

nice job:thumbsup:125ccCrazy
i made a repro fiberglass mtd cover. a guy can make just about anything out of fiberglass:smile:
Thanks DelRay

That cover looks slick, did you finish it and paint it??..... I wish I had an old cover for my Wildcat 500 to mold off of, they are pretty simple in design, , mostly flat straight panels with a round bump for the clutch, I might make a mold from cardboard and give it a shot...

I just moled two fenders for the Wildcat yesterday off the one fender I had for it... only thing that sucks is I dont have a way to lay down gelcoat first to prevent all the air bubbles in the finished surface so I hit it with a light blast to open up an air pockets and then skimmed it with Duraglass to fill the pits followed with Dolphin Glaze polyester glazzing filler....

delray

another thing to think about when you are making glass parts is to lay a piece of flat steel(stainless steel or aluminum,so it won't rust)in the glass work for support when mounting it up to something. this would be any place you need to drill a hole to bolt it up to a bracket or something. this way the glass won't crack on you.:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

another thing to think about when you are making glass parts is to lay a piece of flat steel(stainless steel or aluminum,so it won't rust)in the glass work for support when mounting it up to something. this would be any place you need to drill a hole to bolt it up to a bracket or something. this way the glass won't crack on you.:thumbsup:
yeah thats an idea... on my fenders I just layed an extra piece of mat to thicken it up but a thin piece of sheet metal would have been an idea.... maybe on the next set if I make more...

Nice looking work there... another Idea might be to vacuum bag the part while it's curing to suck all the air pockets/bubbles outta' the resin... lots of trouble to go through just to make up a few parts though.

mardyn