My next Project! The Cat 250!!!!

Starting on this one next.. 1975 cat 250..starting the strip down and paint removal..looks to be originally orange...:thumbsup: more updates as i work on it!

45t

Very cool! :thumbsup: I enjoyed working on my son & daughters 250's. Very small bikes to try and ride though.

Does yours have wheel stars? All the 250's I've seen are without the stars. :shrug:

Also, you don't need that kickstand. Those 250's stand up on thier own. Send the kickstand to me. :biggrin:

Very cool! :thumbsup: I enjoyed working on my son & daughters 250's. Very small bikes to try and ride though.

Does yours have wheel stars? All the 250's I've seen are without the stars. :shrug:

Also, you don't need that kickstand. Those 250's stand up on thier own. Send the kickstand to me. :biggrin:
no Wheel stars. Just the very basic cat 250.. just a nice little rider.:thumbsup:

Still got the one I bought new.It was originally orange,so when I was painting a piece of equipment it got blasted and a coat of orange urethane on it too.It turns out mine is an oddball,it has the factory disc brake,weld-on footpegs,and a 2-1/2 horse Tecumseh.I got the bike in the spring of 69,and I'm told here that combination of components weren't made at that time.I still have my original flat seat,I just had it recovered over the original foam.It is uncomfortable to ride,my knees are jammed between the handlebars and the pegs.When I was 13 though it was pretty slick.

Attachments

When I sandblasted my Cat frame like that,I found something interesting.The little gusset on the fork neck was welded to the tube that the fork bolt goes through,but it was not welded to the frame.Not that they didn't try,but the weld was on both sides of the gusset but never contacted the frame.I could pass a piece of paper between the gusset and the frame.Just a poor weld job.Nice looking weld,it just wasn't doing anything.I never knew it until I was priming it,I saw a black line show up in the primer that I thought was a crack.Looking closer I saw that their welds had never touched the frame tubes at all.I fixed the 40 year old mistake.

When I sandblasted my Cat frame like that,I found something interesting.The little gusset on the fork neck was welded to the tube that the fork bolt goes through,but it was not welded to the frame.Not that they didn't try,but the weld was on both sides of the gusset but never contacted the frame.I could pass a piece of paper between the gusset and the frame.Just a poor weld job.Nice looking weld,it just wasn't doing anything.I never knew it until I was priming it,I saw a black line show up in the primer that I thought was a crack.Looking closer I saw that their welds had never touched the frame tubes at all.I fixed the 40 year old mistake.
Sounds like one of my welds LOL

Actually I use my streamlight in my left hand while welding otherwise I can't see the line I'm trying to weld. People laugh when they see me weld, but hey I'm no professional... I just play one on TV