Need help removing a sleeve

Picked up a pretty cool '67 H50 Tecumeh and it had this pretty cool starter that uses the PTO and a sprocket rather than the flywheel.

I dont know what i'll do with it but for now I just want it off. And off it came.

But this sleeve wont come off until I get this pin out. It goes all the way through the crank shaft and at first I thought it was a hex key and that wasn't true. It's more like a pin. Does anyone know what I should use to get it out? I tried a punch very lightly and it doesnt budge. Heres close ups of both ends.

Last edited:
That is a Roll Pin/ Spring Pin for sure,sometimes called a split pin. As ugmold said above a proper size "pin punch" and some PB B'laster will cure that with a hard hitting hammer. They are not that easy to drill out at all...so bang away rather than drilling.

a roll pin/spring pin is designed to fit tight in a hole so it doesn't fall out. The body of the pin is larger than the hole it goes in to, but it will collapse to the hole diameter when smacked into place with a hammer. It will come out, I wouldn't drill it out.

As stated it's a roll pin. They are hardened spring steel so drilling it out is just about out of the question. A correct sized drift punch, oil, and a bigger hammer

Thanks all, had a feeling it was something a little different from what ive come across in my limited time playing with this stuff. I was worried about smacking something on a crank shaft too much. Didnt want to ruin what looks like a real nice and long crank.
By the way this wasnt meant to be here I thought I posted it on the Tecumseh section. I'll ask the admins to move it.

Well sirs, that worked out well. punched it out after PB Blaster worked its way in for a day or so.

3.5 in shaft. Not bad. I notice a C on the shaft as well as the intake manifold. Dont think ive noticed that before.