Need help troubleshooting a problem

I picked up a DB30 at Walmart for half price that had been returned because it had issues. It had a sign on it that said it would idle but stalls when given gas. I stopped and got a new spark plug on the way home and swapped it out before I even tried starting it. With the new plug and started right up and runs, but I don't think it's running right. I rode it around the yard and it doesn't move very fast, I would guess maybe 5 mph. Going up a slight incline pretty much brings it to a craw. I am about 260 lbs, so I wouldn't expect it to move very fast, but I would think it should be a bit faster. If I pick up the rear end and hold the throttle open it seems to run good. Any advice on a good starting point to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance.

I picked up a DB30 at Walmart for half price that had been returned because it had issues. It had a sign on it that said it would idle but stalls when given gas. I stopped and got a new spark plug on the way home and swapped it out before I even tried starting it. With the new plug and started right up and runs, but I don't think it's running right. I rode it around the yard and it doesn't move very fast, I would guess maybe 5 mph. Going up a slight incline pretty much brings it to a craw. I am about 260 lbs, so I wouldn't expect it to move very fast, but I would think it should be a bit faster. If I pick up the rear end and hold the throttle open it seems to run good. Any advice on a good starting point to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance.
if it has the stock motor then that's your problem. 260 lbs is over twice the recommended limit for that poor mini. if youre going to make the bike for kids, keep that motor on and put a jack shaft kit on it. it will work great. if you are going to be riding that mini, take off that motor and put on a predator motor from harbor freight.

then pull wheelies at every start.

TTS

Agree with squirrel. That little 2.5 hp motor is anemic at best. Predator (60363) is a great choice, you will need a new clutch and have to cut new slots in the mount plate. IMHO, the custom adapter plate raises the motor too high to be able to get the gas cap off.

Good deal. I plan on letting the kids ride it, but it will probably be next summer before my oldest id big enough. I guess I better start eating more salads if I want to poke around on it. I appreciate the info.

Had that trouble with my first doodle. It was bone stock and the fella said it wouldn't hardly move. So I looked it over and realized the tire was low and the engine wasn't powerful enough to run it and overcome tire flex. I still have the factory engine and ride it myself (220 lbs ) with my daughter (about 40 lbs) Make sure the tires are aired up. I usually try to keep about 20psi in mine and we get it going about 20 mph.