need help with an engine swap

Hello All,

I recently bought 2 used, stock db30s.....one of the two is working fine and will remain stock for my 9 and 12 year old.....the other has a burned up clutch, so I've decided to rob our go cart engine and clutch (Subaru Robin 4.0 horse) to put on the second mini...

I removed the Subaru engine from the go-cart today and have it sitting on my work bench.....since it hasn't been started in at least a year, I'm trying to get it running on my work bench before I put it in the mini.....however, it's proving to be quite stubborn.....I can't get it to turn over.....I took the spark plug out of the engine to watch for spark while I turn the engine over with a drill, but I'm not seeing any spark....

There are two kill switches in series, one on the engine and the other to be mounted somewhere....If I Ohm them out, what am I looking for? does the kill switch open the engine to ground, therefore killing it? If this is the case, then in order to run, the connection from the engine kill wire should not be open all the way through both switches......correct?

One more question.....does anybody have any recommendations for sprocket sizes? the clutch on the Robin has 12 teeth and is setup for 35 chain type.
Also, the go cart was set up with a chain going from a 12t on the clutch to a 12t/36t jackshaft, then to the wheel sprocket....see attached picture of jackshaft....should I try to use this on the mini??

Motra

The kill switch grounds the coil so in the off position (O) you should have continuity through the switches and in the run position (l) no continuity.
You won't need the jackshaft. Mount the clutch inboard (sprocket close to the engine, clutch on the outside) and run the chain directly to the rear wheel sprocket.

Thanks Motra

Cool......that helps.....any recommendation on # of wheel sprocket teeth? Didn't know if going to a higher # of teeth would help the clutch engage...

Still don't have the Robin running yet, but I did manage to get the sequence correct on the switches to get a spark.....apparently one of the switches was labelled backwards.....I guess my next step is to drain the very old gas out and maybe clean the carb......hope that's all it will take to get it running...

Motra

The stock rear sprocket should work fine, and besides there's no aftermarket sprockets available for the DBs. The gearing doesn't effect the clutch engagement, only engine RPM. Oh and on my other post I used the wrong word. It's outboard mounting of the clutch when the clutch is away from the engine, not inboard. :doah:

I can't get the 4.0 hp Robin to run

I've cleaner out the carb bowl, replaced all of the gas with high octane, verified the spark plug, verified the gas flow, cleaned out the intake, etc.... I can't get it to keep running.....I can pour a bit of gas into the intake and it will run for a little while, but it won't run on it's own....

ANY IDEAS??? This is driving me nuts.....

Strigoi.....that's what it was, the jet was plugged.....After dropping the jet on my garage floor, then down my bathroom sink, I finally managed to get it cleaned out and back in the carb.....reassembled the engine, and it fired right up....

Yesterday, I removed the 2.8, and put the 4.0 in the second mini.....runs great......now I can ride the 4.0 mini while one of my kids rides the 2.8 mini....thanks for all of the help......:thumbsup: