Need some help for an ARCO build.

Rescued an early 70's ARCO from the scrap heap. It's my first build and looking for some help and suggestions. What would be a good engine in the 8hp range? Also, if I were to go to Tractor supply and just buy an off the shelf engine how do I modify the throttle to work with a cable? Also need suggestions for the brake. My wife won't let the kids on it without brakes. I'd like to set it up for a hand brake.

Here's what it looked like when I found it.

Here's what it looked like when I dropped it off at HotRod Jim's in Luling TX for sandblasting and powdercoat.

Last edited:

TomH

You have a vintage engine that probably came with the bike right there that would probably work just fine with a little of this and that. You can still get parts for it if you need any. Not only would that be your cheapest route, but probably the best. You can get help on here to get it running if you don't know what to do. An 8 horse would be way too much for a kid. Easiest brake solution would be this right here.

Mini Bike & Go-Kart Band Brakes

Other members who know more about that bike, might have an original brake, or it might have had a foot brake on it.

Oldsalt

Good find. If you are looking for a different engine I would have to wonder what is wrong with the Tec that is already there? That would, IMHO, be the way to go if it does not cost too much to make it run. Anyone can go get a clone or some such and put it in there, but the Tec is the high zoot engine of choice for that machine...IM most HO.

If you do go for a 8 horse you will have to deal with a lot taller and wider engine. The frame will have to be made taller and most likely the frame made longer so there is an ability to get your feet to the pegs in front of the engine. It will need to have a jack shaft so that the engine can be better 'centralized' in the frame. If a clutch is put on the 'big block' motor and its sprocket lined up with the rear sprocket the engine will be hanging really far out the right side of the frame. Too far. Also the big motors almost always have a 1 inch output shaft...that makes a clutch a lot more expensive. I have an ARCO with a big block Tec. Stretched frame and all...would not have done it but the bike had been run over by a plow and was badly hurt.

That is a nice find, have fun!

TomH

Here is a 70 model from the alexander reynolds picture archives. Slick total restore to give you an idea how it looks. I know you are not going that way, but for reference.

View attachment 41664

Last edited:
Great advice from everyone and thank you! The reason I was thinking an 8 horse is because my two youngest will want to ride with me and I'm 6ft 225. Didn't think the 3hp TEC could handle it. What about a 5hp tec or briggs?

TomH

Don't know what shape the Tec is in. But if it is fairly healthy, I would bolt it up and try it first. You might be surprised. You can always re motor it if you are disappointed, or find one in worse shape and hot rod it. That 3 horse will be a great motor for the wife and kids, and you will have a perfect excuse to get another. I don't think you will stop with one:laugh:

Don't know what shape the Tec is in. But if it is fairly healthy, I would bolt it up and try it first. You might be surprised. You can always re motor it if you are disappointed, or find one in worse shape and hot rod it. That 3 horse will be a great motor for the wife and kids, and you will have a perfect excuse to get another. I don't think you will stop with one:laugh:
Great idea! LOL :thumbsup: