Need some help on installing the oil ring on a WF engine,

125ccCrazy

I tried over on the 4 stroke kart forum but no one wants to help there so here we go here..

I am putting my world formula engine together and I am having a problem with the oil ring... The spring that goes behind the ring seems to big and it wont allow the oil ring to compress without distorting the rings shape, I was told by a guy at Riekens they spring has to be cut but he didnt have any info on how much or the process to determine when enough was enough.... SOOOOOOOOO does anyone here have any info on cutting the expansion coil???

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Easy
What you do, and what i always do is to place the rings. One at a time in the bore and measure the end gap on them. If it's to tight then grind it off until you get what your looking for. Make sure you push the rings to the bottom and top of the bore using the piston while your hold the rod. The rod must still be connected to the piston.

125ccCrazy

Easy
What you do, and what i always do is to place the rings. One at a time in the bore and measure the end gap on them. If it's to tight then grind it off until you get what your looking for. Make sure you push the rings to the bottom and top of the bore using the piston while your hold the rod. The rod must still be connected to the piston.

Yeah thats what I do for the compression rings and even the outter oil ring but the coil expander is what I'm having trouble with... The WF engine has what looks like a coil spring that goes behind the oil ring, the oil ring is one piece and not two thin rings like most engines...The expander (coil) wont allow the oil ring to compress right as it's too big around and when trying to compress the oil ring it starts to distort (go egg shape)....

125ccCrazy

And there is no way you can cut it down?
oh yeah it can be cut down but I was looking for some sort of procedure that others have used so I dont go too far and I know when it's right...

Here are some pics of the parts, you can see in the one pic how much the expander sticks out past the piston side with the ring flush with the opposite side..... It looks like a spring but you can't compress the coils like a regular spring..

I have wayyy too much invested so far to break a piston or tear up a cylinder.... I just wish Briggs would have included instructions/ specs for the oil ring like they did for file fitting the compression ring..

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I would just do that until it fits. I don't think it's real critical. Some people just throw em in the trash and install the ring without it.

e-KMI.com The Racers Edge
Your right, it isn't
But he seems to make it into a very hard thing to do. If I had it, the motor would be running already. That springs usually is grind to fit. Just making it fit is most important, not the size of it. It's doesn't actually seal like a ring does.

I no expert on these engines, but it looks to me like the coil fits inside the groove on the oil ring. I could be wrong, but why would it go behind the ring? Unless I'm just looking at it wrong.:confused:

I no expert on these engines, but it looks to me like the coil fits inside the groove on the oil ring. I could be wrong, but why would it go behind the ring? Unless I'm just looking at it wrong.:confused:
It goes behind the ring to increase the tension (force of the ring pushing against the cylinder wall). Worst case if it wasn't there, the cylinder would get a little extra oil. If it's too tight and binds up, it could cause excessive oil ring and cylinder wear.

125ccCrazy

Your right, it isn't
But he seems to make it into a very hard thing to do. If I had it, the motor would be running already. That springs usually is grind to fit. Just making it fit is most important, not the size of it. It's doesn't actually seal like a ring does.

Yeah I'm sure that you knew what it looked like, I was just showing how much larger i.d the coil is than the piston....All I asked for was a little help and not to be criticized because I dont want to fug up a brand new engine... I've built several engines, cars, sleds ect but this is the first oil ring set up I've delt with that has a coil type spring behind the ring... I dont want an oil burner because it's cut too much and I also dont want it to expand and bind when the engine heats up because it's too tight...
Yep it definately goes behind the ring...

Last edited:
I don't blame you one bit for taking your time and doing it right. I've never seen an oil ring setup like that either, so I was just guessing from what I could see. Your best bet would be to find someone who builds a lot of those engines, and ask them how it goes. I know it aggravates me when something small holds up the progress.:smile:

125ccCrazy

I don't blame you one bit for taking your time and doing it right. I've never seen an oil ring setup like that either, so I was just guessing from what I could see. Your best bet would be to find someone who builds a lot of those engines, and ask them how it goes. I know it aggravates me when something small holds up the progress.:smile:
Thanks FootScoot,

I definately don't want to Not do something right and have a ring failure and destroy a brand new engine...I bought all new parts piece by piece to build the World Formula engine with the addition of a bigger cam, arc rod, ect.... the engine should put out some pretty good HP when I get it together.... should be a fun ride...:scooter:

I bought one of the Animals a couple of years ago, still haven't used it, but the World Formula is supposed to be way better. Should be a rocket.:thumbsup:

125ccCrazy

I bought one of the Animals a couple of years ago, still haven't used it, but the World Formula is supposed to be way better. Should be a rocket.:thumbsup:
Yeah the WF is a really nice engine... I have everything new, all WF parts except a few upgrades like a Dyno 356 cam, ARC beefy rod, hd push rods and stiffer valve springs for the bigger cam, billet lifters, Clements billet side cover... I'm really curious to how well it will perform...

You should break that animal and put it on a bike.... You can use any of the wf parts in that engine if you want to upgrade it later on... I'd probably suggest the wf piston and head, those two parts will really wake the animal up...

Run the animal! they are sweet running Machines! check out the Lil Indian in my pictures, It flys

That WF should put down some serious power:thumbsup: Hold on tight, I cant wait to see it

125ccCrazy

Run the animal! they are sweet running Machines! check out the Lil Indian in my pictures, It flys

That WF should put down some serious power:thumbsup: Hold on tight, I cant wait to see it
Jay,

that Lil Indian looks like it will flat out fly with that animal on there.... have you ever got a MPH on it??

Yeah I can't wait to fire up the WF, should run pretty good..... Now I gotta finish my frame LOL...