New bikes today, Benelli and a...uh...Rupp!

markus

Went down to the Miami area today and picked up some bikes. I had made arrangements earlier in the week to pick up this Benelli today:

Its quite the Roach, BUT, it did come with this:

Thats the original owners manual and the Ohio Title for it from 1972 :thumbsup: Not to mention that I bought it from the original owner (her dad bought it for her at JC penny when she was 13).

Unfortunatly, the bike is not in as good of shape as I hoped and I certainly did not get a screaming deal on it. but the fact of a title, manual and few tidbits I can use in conjunction with other hurricane that I have owned for awhile, It kinda evens out the price.

Before I left a around 6am or so this morning I did a quick search of south FL craigslist to see if there was anything else interesting (I live 3 hours away from that area on the other coast) and I came across an add for a Rupp. So I emailed saying I would be in Boca raton around 10ish and if he got the email before than to call my cell ( he did not have a phone number in the add). Well he called me at 10 and I headed over to check it out.

its not your average Rupp :smile: ( we have seen a few pics of these on here before):

it is a 2003 Rupp 90cc 4spd clutch. Its in very very nice condition. the blinkers went limp (very common on all the clone bikes) but other than that its mint. This company did not last long in the sea of clones that flooded the market.

This was an original owner bike as well with title, manual etc.. :

Unlike the Benelli I actually got this bike very cheap! In reality I paid about what the going rate it for a clean CT clone (with title) for both bikes so it worked out pretty good, Tired from 6 hours driving though.

Both cool bikes. I remember that a kid on my street had a Benelli. The rest of us thought it was so exotic. It really is, in a way. I'm not familiar with the Rupp. Re-badged Honda? License-built? Shameless knockoff?

Thats the outfit that was selling the ct70 and z50 clones that Mick Rupp went after to stop using his name on. Thats why they were a one year only bike. He did not like his old company name put on Chinese bikes is what I was told, Who ever owns the rights to Rupp did not care, so he took care off it. There not bad bikes I two clone from the same time peroid. The Rupp ones came in nice colors, I like the plum crazy purple they had. The turn signals are crap on the clones, All mine had broke off, They get in the way and when riding through trails small branch's and brush break them off easy.

markus

Thats the outfit that was selling the ct70 and z50 clones that Mick Rupp went after to stop using his name on. Thats why they were a one year only bike. He did not like his old company name put on Chinese bikes is what I was told, Who ever owns the rights to Rupp did not care, so he took care off it. There not bad bikes I two clone from the same time peroid. The Rupp ones came in nice colors, I like the plum crazy purple they had. The turn signals are crap on the clones, All mine had broke off, They get in the way and when riding through trails small branch's and brush break them off easy.
Yea the only reason I even considered this bike was because of the badging (sorry Mickey). I have to say though compared to another buddies clone CT of the same age that the Rupp It is a better unit, still a chinsy Chinese clone though :smile: Should be a better rider than my DiBlasi though. Since its made to fold up and fit in a bag, comfort went by the wayside, not to mention it does not handle all that well, The Clone will be a nice change for cruising to the store and checking out weekend garage sales :thumbsup:

That was the problem when they were selling those on ebay and every were the quality varied from place to place and the lower the price the cheaper some of the stuff on the bikes looked. Like the chrome the welds and other things if you looked at them side beside you notice them very quickly. I look into becoming a Dirt dobber dealer in 2003, The company that was distributing them told me the plant that builds them is the size of Arkansas. They will build it in any price range you want. The Dirt dobber had a good fit and finish to them. Back then the wholesale on them was 750 each and they sold a round 1100 to 1200 range. There was a dealer here in our area that carried them and thats were I got mine. But he was like most those outfits the gone know.