New Carburetor from China

I received this in the mail today.
It's a replacement carburetor for Stihl chainsaws.
I went test it out and then remembered I have no gas (gas can full of E85).:doah:

0.965" Throttle Bore

Inlet Seat is press fit and all alignment pins are casted into the bottom stack.

Now that is VERY interesting.

I have also seen some of these big Chinese saws.
The one I was looking at as was a clone.
But I never considered the carb.

Can you snap pictures of the venturi and plates to see if its actualty a Tillotson or a clone?

Son of Gun!!!!!

A Clone Tillotson carb.

Holy shit.

I'm stunned......

I need to get one of these and have it shipped to Korndog for evaluation.

On the one hand I am realy happy to see it, but on the other the potential for something like this to basterdize the market is huge.

Can you measure the venturi and see where it lay in the cab range and report on any makers mark, numbers of stampings you may see....

Last edited:
Been doing some digging.

Apears to be a clone of HL-244A
Used on the Stihl 070 and 090.

Beyond that I can't pull up any tech on the carb for venturi size.

based on the old Eyeball I would put it at between 19 and 22mm.
The fact its got a choke and from my research uses the same parts as OEM this might need more investigation

There have been some knock off Stihl chainsaws floating around. The 070 and 090 have been kicking around and getting a bad reputation for not being very good saws.

Not sure if it was last winter or the year before ( probably 09 ) I was looking at one.
My Chums at source 1 imports brought in an example for evalutaion and I looked it over but it never clicked the carb was a clone Tilly or that they would come in in bulk and sell for so cheap.

Tommorow I will time permitting see if that big saw is still at the shop and I'll take it apart and see what the carb looks like.

AS I recall the example I was looking at had no brand name on it but it was clearly a Stihl 090. Some parts even apeared to have the name on it removed from the castings.
My first impression was this 135cc brute might make a decent kart or mini bike engine but I never followed up on it.

I never gave it a second thought untill this thread......

I would strongly sugest everyone take a valium and deap breath before getting all excited.
This is no secret but untill Someone gets one of these in the hands of an expert like Korndog to see what modifications it will need ( if any ) before its boltd on a clone.

First off I can tell you with little doubt in my mind its going to run fat and rich across the board because its intended for an engine burning thick 20:1 oil mixed fuel.

AS built these might be a methanol carb....

I searched around and found it to be very simular to an HL-334A, which
is a good performance carb for 2 cycle engines.

After taking it apart again, I now known I can use Tillotson D&G kits on
it.

I don't know when I will be able to test it out, but this is probably
the air cleaner kit I will use:
Tecumseh Air Cleaner Assembly with Offset Adapter 730164
and possibly an external fuel pump
YUCK!

I have no doubt you can make that work but given the choice I would spend a few dollars more and get a proper velocity stack and air filter.
Get a prefilter too....