New Clone engine surge

Just started the engine - idles fine but as you accelerate it starts to surge - cut in and out ? someone suggested the jet ? someone else noted the governor kicking in and out ? Any ideas. Thanks

Yes - idles fine ? GOING TO TRY A DIFFERENT JET. First I heard of the governor surging, Get what u pay for I guess. I wouldn't do anything just get a different engine I guess,

Are you running it with no load on the engine? If so it is going to hit its peak of governed rpms (3600) very quickly, in which case it may seem as if though it is surging when it is actually just running at full throttle as it was designed to

Twid

What bikeworm said. Also if the oil is sloshing around or low it could be the oil censor sounds like the governor tho. Sell it and get a Briggs 5hp,, wish I did. Lot of help on this forum. Have Fun!

Last edited:

Twid

The motor doesn't have a problem it need to be retrofitted to run in a mini bike / go kart. Only reason I have one is everyone says there cheep then I got one then it needed a con rod , flywheel, valve springs, spark plug, header, 22mm Mikuni, manifold, air cleaner, hardware, what else? It all adds up. Wish I would of put the money in to a Briggs not a foreign motor. I actually feel bad about it like I let down America.

The thing about the pred is they are cheap if you run them stock out of the box, maybe throw on an air filter and exhaust for a little extra, and they really work quite well that way on any minibike that you want to cruise around the neighborhood with. Once you start opening them up and building race motors it is going to get more expensive just like anything else. Speed costs money, simple

I used the zip ties on as someone noted here on the forum and it stopped the surging - goes really fast. But doesn't the zip ties really defeat the purpose of the governor ? I cant see spending hundreds of dollars to change internal components and rather buy a B&S like my old Mini bike I had as a kid had - don't remember a surging problem on it ? 3.5 hp enough ?

the zip ties are just bypassing the governor, yes Briggs have governors too. Letting the motor run unrestricted for periods of time with the stock rod may cause damage.