New Coleman CT200u owner

Hey guys. Just introducing myself, I'm a proud and first time owner of a Coleman CT200U. Back in the day I was one of those kids who never got cool stuff like this. I was so envious of the other kids in the neighborhood scooting along on their gopeds, mopeds, and mini bikes while I was using my legs, pedalling like a chump. Fast forward 28 years later and let's just say I'm making up for lost time lol. The best part about this was that I got the bike brand new, from all places, TJ Maxx clothing/department store for $250+tax! It was on clearance (they obviously didn't know the demographic for this product, it would have sold for full price at the Dick's Sporting Goods a few stores down) This is one time I thanked my girlfriend for making me go with her haha. Pics will come as I just finished assembling her and lighting sucks in the garage.

From research I knew the bike was a bigger size but damnnnn lol, it's huge. I don't think I'd let anyone under 15-16 ride it. It's perfect for my frame though without feeling like a pebble will make me flip over the bars. I plan on doing only 3 engine mods for it and would like to ask for your help. I plan on ordering the upgraded jet (probably #37) and emulsion tube, intake, and headers/exhaust. I want a little more pep but would rather enjoy the reliability for years to come. My question is what's the difference between the OldMiniBikes intake kit and the upgraded kit. I can see the adapter is more funnel shaped but is that all? Also can anyone with experience let me know which exhaust will bolt up direct without modification? As in won't come into contact with fram or rear fender. I've read some members did a "do it yourself" but sadly I have no welder and would like to just bolt up n go. Thanks for the help and I promise my threads will never be this long again lol.

Hey GO Blue, congratulations on the great score. I like that bike, the size, the racks, industrial lookin thing. OldMiniBikes member posted some interesting background on your model here http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/105525-coleman-ct200u-mini-bike-info.html

For headers/mufflers look on OldMiniBikes warehouse and check out the clone exhaust selection, there is a variety of them so one should fit your bike. Wel come to OldMiniBikes and let's see them pics:thumbsup:

PJH

GO Blue - Your post made me chuckle as I could have written this. I was recently at a Marshall's (TJ Maxx clone) and got the same deal on a Coleman mini-bike. My daughter saw the way I was looking at it and is actually the one that talked me into making the purchase!

Anyway, I'm looking to make the same mods you listed, so I'll be interested in what you find out on the intake and exhaust.

That's great to hear. I love looking at the bike, which is the only thing I can do right now with the snow lol. As far as the intake goes it looks as though it's redesigned adapter that funnels the air a bit more. Don't know if it's worth the extra money honestly for my application so I'll be going with the regular kit. As for the exhaust I've taken measurements and think the 1" header/exhaust combo will work nicely without modifications to the pipe or bike. It will go straight back about 13" long and will end right before the frame. I'm fine with being the test mule and will let you know how it turns out.

Btw I know exactley how you felt at the store. I just kept eyeing it and the price when my GF told me I should just get it..sounds like your daughter will make some lucky man very happy someday lol

Last edited:
Go Blue...I did the same thing...but I had to pay full price at Walmart. I took a picture and sent it to my wife saying I want this. She laughed and said keep walking. But couldnt stop thinking about it, went back a week later and it was gone. Talk with the sale associate she said each store only get 2 or 3 each. I went to about 6 stores until finally finding one. I love it....cant wait for some Michigan ride events. like you I want to modify it just to give it a little more pep. Its stored away in the garage waiting for the weather to break.

Mine is assembled and in the garage. It pains me to see it everyday but I won't start it untill I can ride it. I'm looking forward to some MI riding events/meets as well. It'll be fun to cruise around, dont know how I'm going to transport though.

go blue , you are one lucky sob, lol. $250 wow ! should have got two! those bikes are big doodlebugs with warrior wheels & motor so let me save you new owners some $$ & time. 1st thing to buy is a torque converter tav. this is gonna be the best upgrade, because once you ride it the gearing is way too high & any more power with is really a waste just to go 20mph, if you don't have the cash for tav you can change gearing byswitchingthe 20t sprocket on jackshaft for 15t. that $5.00 sprocket switch will take you from 10-1 to 7.5 to 1 should get you to 30. 35 mph.

Thanks for the input Kruger, Im real interested in the sprocket swap, not only for the bang for the buck but ease of modification. Does a sprocket swap require anything done to the engine internally like a billet flywheel and rods? I'll draw the line for now if I have to open her up since she's so new but I don't know if that 20mph top speed is gonna cut it for me.

the sprocket i'm talking about is under plastic cover on left side of your bike. there's a clutch with a small chain attached to a 20 tooth sprocket remove the little chain & 20 tooth & replace with 15t.

Sorry for the confusion, I'm familiar with the 20t sprocket and the location. Im just unsure if there would be any additional stress put onto the motor or clutch that would require an upgraded part. I know the gearing allows is to stretch its legs and more related to the trans but like I said, mini bikes and small engines Is a new world to me lol. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. On a side note I'm ordering my intake kit, jet/tube, and header today from OldMiniBikes. Can't wait!!!

Sorry for the confusion, I'm familiar with the 20t sprocket and the location. Im just unsure if there would be any additional stress put onto the motor or clutch that would require an upgraded part. I know the gearing allows is to stretch its legs and more related to the trans but like I said, mini bikes and small engines Is a new world to me lol. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. On a side note I'm ordering my intake kit, jet/tube, and header today from OldMiniBikes. Can't wait!!!
GoBlue, you don't have to do any billet parts til you remove the governor. Those light mods you're planning will add a lotta life to your minibike. On my jackshaft I go from 12t clutch to 13/15t driven side to 72t rear sprocket. I'm hitting top speed of 42-43mph. Mods are easy (if I can do it anyone can!) and when it stops being tundra there, you'll see!:thumbsup:

the gear change will do more for your bike right now than performance parts. i in the past bought a baja heat & did mods first, header, carb jet,, air filter. ithen notice how much better the motor ran up to gov restriction but, the gearing had my motor screaming at 20 mph & yes I then removed then gov & I blew then rod out then front of then motor, lesson learned. now I worry more about gearing than power. 6 to 1 is ideal for bikes with6" wheels, tire size counts too. you have 8" rims 19x7x8 tires so 7.5 to 1 or 8.5 to 1 would be great gearing even with gov intact, the 10 to 1 gearing your bike came with is just to high for all around minibike enjoyment. a tav makes a whole new bike( automatic trans) 10 to 1 will be like riding 1st gear all day no matter how much power you make, trust me.

Hey Kruger, I'm having a hard time locating a 15t 3/4" #40/41 sprocket on the web. I see that OldMiniBikes warehouse and a few other sites carry a 14t sprocket and was thinking if that would be ok to get to that ideal gear ratio. Thanks again for the help.

Has anyone else seen these bikes at Marshalls or TJ Maxx? I checked around here and no one in these stores have even heard about them (in St. Louis, MO area)- maybe just a regional thing?

GoBlue, you don't have to do any billet parts til you remove the governor. Those light mods you're planning will add a lotta life to your minibike. On my jackshaft I go from 12t clutch to 13/15t driven side to 72t rear sprocket. I'm hitting top speed of 42-43mph. Mods are easy (if I can do it anyone can!) and when it stops being tundra there, you'll see!:thumbsup:
Hi Jbrocks, I know this is an old thread but I'm looking for a 72t r sprocket for a Coleman (for steep trail riding). Is your setup w. the stock jackshaft and #420 chain? If so, where'd you get the 72t sprocket--Thanks!!!, thirtyforty (ps: yr. private mbox is full)

Gearing

the gear change will do more for your bike right now than performance parts. i in the past bought a baja heat & did mods first, header, carb jet,, air filter. ithen notice how much better the motor ran up to gov restriction but, the gearing had my motor screaming at 20 mph & yes I then removed then gov & I blew then rod out then front of then motor, lesson learned. now I worry more about gearing than power. 6 to 1 is ideal for bikes with6" wheels, tire size counts too. you have 8" rims 19x7x8 tires so 7.5 to 1 or 8.5 to 1 would be great gearing even with gov intact, the 10 to 1 gearing your bike came with is just to high for all around minibike enjoyment. a tav makes a whole new bike( automatic trans) 10 to 1 will be like riding 1st gear all day no matter how much power you make, trust me.
Ct200u 10 to 1 ratio is not to low at all.These bike actually run better with a 60 tooth rear sprocket upgraded from the 50.