New Doodle hits 31 mph

Following my son today he weighs 105 lbs. He hit 31mph as we ran out of flat road; I think it was topped out anyway.
The only thing done to the bike is unscrewed the gov.
Just got the bike from Academy Sports. Looks like the older frame.
He's already looking at the 6.5 motor swap. Lol

Haha I did the same thing on my bug screw out 91 gas royal purple oil and hit 32 mph and my friend in his car and I'm 160

Last edited:

vette66_00

Actually, It was with the Tom Tom plugged into a starter strip.
I didn't was to run over him.
I was just sharing our excitement.
Not after any records. lol

Its the internet there are tons of BS claims out there, (take a recent issue with ezdoseit), alot of kids like to say "I went 50" just to find out it felt like 50 and it was really 25.
We dont know you personally and if you have not filled out your user card on the forums we dont know if your 10 or 100. Believe me we have seen our share of BS story's so dont take it personally.

Last edited:
A DB with a 12/70 gear ratio will only go 27.5 MPH regardless of engine size at 3600RPMs. I have one with a stock 6.5 clone and that's all it'll go. Now it gets there really quickly but wont go faster. My daughter's will go faster with a 3hp but it has an 11/66 ratio and no governor so it'll spin to 4000 easily. It will go 30 flat out given enough room, it's all about gearing and RPMs. Tire size does factor in but DBs mostly run about 15" of rollout.

I'm just a father who has a son and was excited to come on this site and find out to unscrew the governor. I wanted to share that we got the bike going and we were surprised to see how fast it went. I thought other people would share too. I don't know if 31mph is fast or slow for the bike. There could be a slight down slope or wind at our backs. He didn't run the bike the other way. We didn't set things up a certain way or do it the correct way. He just got on the bike and ran down the street.
This is my first post, I did no mean to ruffle any feathers.
Its the internet there are tons of BS claims out there, (take a recent issue with ezdoseit), alot of kids like to say "I went 50" just to find out it felt like 50 and it was really 25.
We dont know you personally and if you have not filled out your user card on the forums we dont know if your 10 or 100. Believe me we have seen our share of BS story's so dont take it personally.

this.

we just question it when people have speeds that sound like they're a bit on the high side. :thumbsup:

Sorry I ever reported this. My mistake I must have done something wrong. May have gained 3 mph on sa slope or my nav is off.
Good luck here everyone!
A DB with a 12/70 gear ratio will only go 27.5 MPH regardless of engine size at 3600RPMs. I have one with a stock 6.5 clone and that's all it'll go. Now it gets there really quickly but wont go faster. My daughter's will go faster with a 3hp but it has an 11/66 ratio and no governor so it'll spin to 4000 easily. It will go 30 flat out given enough room, it's all about gearing and RPMs. Tire size does factor in but DBs mostly run about 15" of rollout.

Don't let it scare you off for sure. Most of us are pretty friendly and dont bite, well much.

Posting this is fine it is awesome that you are able to get your DB to go this fast...For sure start looking at the 6.5 for your next upgrade since the 2.8 gives up the ghost or starts to have many issue that cause you to put just as much money into it as a swap.

You may here its worth working out the issues on the 2.8 but you have to ask why the one that says its worth it sells the upgrades to it.

Hey mymini, first of all, Welcome to OldMiniBikes! Dont let this thread be an example of what the folks are like here. In fact, some of the people that chimed in on your thread are some of the most helpful on this site. They just like to break the new users in here. :laugh:

Glad you found the site, you're in the right place without a doubt if you have a mini bike and a love for the hobby. Stick around, we're all here to help, and pick on you at first.:thumbsup:

Sorry I ever reported this. My mistake I must have done something wrong. May have gained 3 mph on sa slope or my nav is off.
Good luck here everyone!
I did not welcome you and that's my bad! So welcome to the very best site for all minibike owners!:thumbsup:

And you were likely going right at 30, 27.5 is damn close!:thumbsup: I was merely stating a fact and fact is my modified 6.5hp DB will only go 27.5 mph with the current gearing. 27 is not bad really and I was certainly not criticizing you or questioning the accuracy of you method for reading the speed. I have one that will approach 50 but it will spin 5500 revs.:scooter:

Dont be thin skinned on a forum full of grown men that play with minibikes, sounds silly when I say it outloud dont it? Yeah you'll learn much about your machine here and leaving now would be just as silly given you've survived me and Strigoi. We are the worst hackers here I'd say and we didn't really beat you up. This is the only site for DBs that gets down to the nitty-gritty as far as any and every question you'll ever have. The combined knowledge is unfathomable really, don't let us run you off behind some smartass comments and the mathematical fact as the top speed goes. If you look at it like you've already learned the limit as top speed goes, we can help you get that number up considerably when your son's confidence grows. The yellow one is my son's and while it will only do the 27.5 it gets there very fast and will wheelie at will, climb damn near any hill we've encountered and looks good doin' it!:thumbsup:

I apologize if I offended you with my post, it was not my intention!

I'm i'n the wrong place then.
DOn't sweat it man. I'm 250lbs and had my stock DB30 up to ABOUT 30mph going down a slight hill. Going up the hill I was lucky to hit 11mph, LOL. After an upgrade to the 6.5 clone and a 13 tooth clutch it would do ABOUT 33-34mph but got there much quicker and would run the same spped both up and down the hill.

I have a post on here where some dude was intent on proving my bike would not do 48mph (Measured on my GPS, no less) after I had modified it. But in the end he finally agree'd with me because he had his math wrong, but to be honest I was getting close to telling him yeah your right and letting it go because in the end I dont really care. I know what the reading was on my GPS and tested it several times repeatedly. Any way have fun here there's lots of good people and info to be had and have fun!

Opinions

Don't sweat what eveyone else says. Did you and your boy have fun? If the answer is yes, then good!!!!:thumbsup:I hit 28mph on mine and I have a 196cc motor....:scooter:

Last edited: