New find

My dad just dropped this off.
He picked it up like this, and has had it in this condition for decades.
He thinks it’s a ‘70’s Montgomery Wards.
He also gave me a predator engine new in box.
Any info would be cool, thanks.

Last edited:
Its a Gilson ( monkey wards ) with the TAV id say 525 VT but no rear shocks or head light ?likely a 424 model!

Last edited:

capguncowboy

It's either a Gilson TAV model or an Allis Chalmers. MW didn't make a small wheel TAV version but they could have upgraded the jackshaft or downgraded the wheels

Small seat and rear struts would usually be a Gilson 3 series (3hp tecumseh) but is hard to say when they're missing so many pieces. Those bikes were made from 1970-1972, possibly some still around in 73

Check the inside of the forks for a serial plate. That would give you the best info

Here's my 1970 lighted 2-speed

2016-04-03 15.37.55.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
I’m just looking to order an accelerator cable and a bunch of parts to get this going.
Do you have a place you recommend?
Also, what is the best way to determine length?

capguncowboy

Gilson offered the V424 (small wheel as you call it). I have one for sale and I've seen at least two others.
Yes, but it wasn't sold as a MW model. Or at least, it's not in the MW service manual.

Order parts from OldMiniBikes. Measure cable length using a rope or piece or string, then measure the rope. You can always order longer and trim it down

^This is what I was told when I found mine- there was no hard product lineup within Gilson/MW. It was whatever parts that where on hand that wound-up on a mini. Aside from what I was told, there is a product tag for the V424. Just because it doesn't show in the ebay-photo copy "manual" doesn't mean it didn't exist as a Montgomery Ward offered mini.

Attachments

capguncowboy

^This is what I was told when I found mine- there was no hard product lineup within Gilson/MW. It was whatever parts that where on hand that wound-up on a mini. Aside from what I was told, there is a product tag for the V424. Just because it doesn't show in the ebay-photo copy "manual" doesn't mean it didn't exist as a Montgomery Ward offered mini.
That's interesting. Thank you for sharing