New Member washington state

Howdy,

Great site! Been lurking a bit after I picked up a little Yamaha JT1 in a trade about a month back, on a whim- Then picked up a little green MTD Columbia (I think) for my 11 year old- He loves it(me too!) Definitely caught the bug!- I am in Kenmore, but also have a cabin in Tahuya- So I am looking for mini's that are trail capable if possible, I like to work on boats and old outboards but really have enjoyed tinkering so far on little/mini bikes. Looking to pick up something like a Tule or Tote Gote next, and a mini like a falcon I see is for sale in Spokane- Wish it was closer! Now first question is for our little MTD that has a 3 hp briggs- That would be 3/4" shaft? Do most of the 5 hp's have a 3/4" and would it fit in the frame? Any other suggestions on older mini's that are trail capable and can handle at least small hills- Should I focus on bikes that have toque converters only?

Sark

You can still pick up the Baja Warriors pretty reasonable. I have two of them and they offer a larger frame bigger tires and some have front suspension for a softer ride off road.

Actually I have a Baja heat with front suspension- Was my father in law's who past away this last year(the man who got me into old stuff!)- It was in his shed just needing a little carb and tank cleaning- After I picked up the JT1 I went over and grabbed the heat, running good now but need new bearings maybe. I like the classic funky stuff though- Any difference in performance with a modern TAV vs the standard issue TC for something like the Columbia ?

Actually I have a Baja heat with front suspension- Was my father in law's who past away this last year(the man who got me into old stuff!)- It was in his shed just needing a little carb and tank cleaning- After I picked up the JT1 I went over and grabbed the heat, running good now but need new bearings maybe. I like the classic funky stuff though- Any difference in performance with a modern TAV vs the standard issue TC for something like the Columbia ?
One of my Warriors has the 2:1 reduction or whatever came from the factory but with a mild 6.5 Predator. It's pretty good offroad. It's not a dirt bike but for cruising trails and fields it's pretty good. No TAV's yet. That's coming soon though.

The 3hp Briggs may be a 5/8 shafts or a 3/4. I think I have seen them both ways.

Last edited:
Ok, the bug is in full force- But I like motors so it didn't take much :)- I jumped on a two bikes recently so am up to 3 now- and hoping for one more before summer( a powell hopefully!) I picked up another MTD/trail flite not sure which- Looks fairly original, full long exhaust, spark arrestor, sissy bar and HS 40. It was stuck when I received it, but free'd up as soon as I went to remove the flywheel- I have cleaned the carb and points so it has spark but I buggered up the flywheel nut threads so need to pick up a replacement - Also picked up a Bonanza 1100 I think, came with a Tecumseh 2.5. I cleaned the carb and points and got it running decent, but there is a little oil coming out after pretty warm, so needs new seals I'm thinking- Anyway having a blast working on and riding them with my 11 year old. What range of compression readings should I be looking for when evaluating?