Newbe, Son of Norman Siegal, founder of Moto Scoot & Inventor of Centrifugal Clutch

Greetings. Let me introduce myself and post some interesting pictures. I am Burt Siegal, the oldest son of Norman Siegal. Those of you interested in Moto Scoot know a little about him. Let me tell you more and will answer any questions that I can.

During WW II Moto Scoot was manufacturing army cots on a massive scale. The steel was still warm when it arrived on the rail siding from the mill. If anyone is interested, I can tell you how some New York financial guys came in and stole the company so they could declare bankrupsy and sell off a factory full of punch presses and fabricating equipment which were unatainable and near priceless during the war. They sold off the rights to Moto Scoot for very little, almost as an after thought.

Dad, who never went to college, worked as an engineer and was designing the tail section of the Corsair fighter plane. When they wanted him to do something he knew was wrong on the tail wheel, he refused. They threatened him to be drafted in the Army, assigned to the very same drafting table and facing 10 years at hard labor if he still refused. At the age of 31, with three sons, he said screw you and enlisted in the Marines.

In the combat engineers of the 5th Division, he fought through six invasions, the last was IwoJima. All the time he was building parts for a scooter using the machine shops of various transports. When he hit the beach on Iwo, he burried the clutch me made in the sand. It was he and his group raised the second large flag at the top of Surabatchi. He was not in the famous picture of the raising, but was in the group celebrating in the second picture. Later, during the heavy fighting that followed, he was shot twice through the helmet. Though blinded by blood, he kept shooting until his buddies came and wiped out the platoon that had gone into the surf at night to get behind the Marines' front line.

He got the Bronze Star for that and his fourth Purple Heart. Evacuated to a hospital ship and heavily bandaged, he jumped ship to get to the beach to recover his clutch. An officer saw him and said, "If you can walk, you can fight." Back into the fighting, he picked up another Purple Heart for a saber cut during hand-to-hand fighting.

He completed the scooter in Hawaii during R & R before he and over a million others were sent off-score to invade Japan if they failed to surrender. Dad, who had driven many race cars and once drove relief at Indy, was killed at the age of 39 when he purposely slid a car around a curve and an unseen truck came and broadsided him at the driver's side.

The pictures I am attaching are of that scooter he gave me and was taken from it storage place. I, at the age of 86, am desperately trying to locate it so I can help restore it and see it gets into a museum. I am will to pay $500. to anyone who helps me find find it. NOTE: The three pictures file size exceeded the maximum allowed. If there is interest, please advise me how to send the pictures, individually or as a group.

I hope you found this interesting and worth the time it took to read.

Many thanks to all,

Burt Siegal

Great story. Thank you for sharing. You might try contacting Max-torque. They have a web site you can call or email. The owner is Jim Donovan. He is a great guy and I believe the same age as you. lol. He knows a lot and may be able to lead you in the proper direction.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and good wishes on locating the scooter. I will have to rescan the photos at a lower resolution so I can send them one by one under your 19.something limit. Please keep an eye out for my next three posts which I hope to send on Tuesday the 16th.

Burt Siegal

Thanks, Charles.

I have the three pictures ready. Base on what you informed me, it will not up load until I have a few more posts. I cleaned them up and reduced their file size. The scooter has wheels from a Stinson spotter plane and tubing from its wing struts. Obviously, independent front and rear hydraulic brakes. The engine is an Onan, horizontally opposed two cylinder from a field generator.

When I finally get permission to post them, how do I insert them from my file into the thread? When I get the three picture into the thread, is there a way to broadcast the pictures to the whole membership in the hope that someone has seen the scooter?

Thanks, again.

Burt Siegal

Burt, just make some more posts, doesn't have to do with anything, the system is just looking for a set number of posts before it will allow you to put your pictures up.

Then, hit the reply button like you normally do. But look at the bottom right of the box. See "Go Advanced", click on it.

You'll get a new window pop up, has the box for your post, and below it you will see "Manage Attachments", click on it.

A new box pops up, on the upper right corner you will see "Add Files", click on it and you can load your photos, one at a time. Once you load one, click "Upload" and the photo will appear in the box and also down below it to show it's ready, repeat as needed, then click "Done" at the bottom right of the lower box.

Write out your post and when you hit "Submit Reply" you post will show with the photos. Just like this.

Attachments

This is so frustrating. I have the pictures on my computer ready to insert in the my photos button. I have tried everything I can think of but cannot connect them it the post I had written. I tried the "insert image" pull down. It would insert a file name into the message for each of the three pictures. But no images appeared. Will this work so members can see the images? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Burt Siegal

Attachments

I find I have to upload images to my gallery...before I can link to them from a post. Then insert 'from original'.

Beautiful scooter Burt, I wish you all the luck in the world, in locating it...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
WOW.

There they are! Here is the full story on Dad and this special scooter: Norman Siegal founded Moto Scoot in his twenties. If others are interested I can supply you with the story of how the Moto Scoot Company was stolen for its priceless machinery. They sold off the tooling and design right as an afterthought.

Norman Siegal, a self taught engineer, was designing the tail wheel of the Corsair fighter for Goodyear Aircraft. They wanted him to do something he knew was wrong and he refused. They said they would draft him in the army, assign him to the same drafting table and give him 20 years at hard labor if he refused again. He said, "screw you"and enlisted in the Marines.

My earlier post had details of how he built the scooter between invasions and how he fought at Iwo Jima.

That scooter in the thumb nails has wheels from a Stinson spotter plane and oval tubing from its struts. The engine is a two cylinder horizontally opposed Onan from a field generator. It has the centrifugal clutch he buried on the beach of Iwo Jima. After the invasion of Japan was cancelled he returned to Hawaii,completed the scooter and shipped it home. He began a company manufacturing external sun visors for cars and gave the scooter to me, his oldest of three sons.

Remembering the gold plated Moto Scoot on display in the company showroom, I saw as a child; I over sprayed the Marine Corp. green with gold paint. I realized later that it disappointed Dad, but he never complained, only commenting that it "looked so salty." We moved back to Chicago from L.A. and I entered engineering at the University of Illinois. We stored the scooter at a life long friend, Tom Browning's company Browning Tool Works.

In my junior year; Dad who was shot twice through the helmet, slashed with a saber in hand-to-hand fighting, broke the number one rule he taught me, "Never put a car where you can't see what's coming." He slid his sedan around a curve on glare ice for his own amusement and an unseen truck broadsided the driver's side. Dad was killed at the age of only 39. I graduated, got married in 1954 and went to Tom Browning to recover my scooter. He claimed that he sold my scooter along with about a half dozen others he owned. He was unable or didn't want to supply the name of the buyer.

The whole point of this long story is that I am 86 years old and have little time left to locate the scooter, help restore it and get it placed in an appropriate museum. There is a $500 reward to the person who helps me find the scooter. PLEASE is there a way to broadcast this story and the pictures in the previous post to the membership at large? Some of your incredible members might have seen it or have an idea of where the scooter might be.

Thank all you great people,

Burt Siegal
i

Here are your photos Burt. Our own Dick DeBuse is an authority on vintage scooters and he is well traveled. I will send him a link to your post in hopes he can help. Best of luck, I hope you find it someday.

Very interesting to hear from you. I forwarded your posts to US Scooter Museum and asked John to post them on his site. John has some Moto Scoot information posted including a copy of your dad's Bronze Star award. Some of the information came from Ray Spangler in Chicago. I recommend you try to get something posted on the Vintage Motor Bike Club website and also printed in their magazine. They are dedicated to preserving motor scooters, motor bikes, and mini bikes over 30 years old. You can contact their editor Brendan Dooley at vmbc_editor@yahoo.com. Another place to search may be the Antique Motorcycle Club of America. Their editor is Bill Wood at AMCAeditor@gmail.com.
Good Luck
Dick

Moto_scoot_2
This site has some information on the Moto Scoot, I'm waiting to see you photos. Good information on its development.
I see Burts photos were posted while I was typing my post. Great photos Burt and a great history.

Last edited: