Newbie 74 CT70 project

Hi all, my name is Mark and I have a fugly problem. Just picked this up for next to nothing, always wanted one, thought I would give it a go. Plans are to get it running and go on a ride or 2 next spring. Then it will either be sold or restored, will see what the future holds. The engine parts I have, no problem getting it back together. Just missing a bunch of parts, major ones are carb, exhaust and fuel tank. This will be a winter project and I will post updates as they are worthy.
Mark

Yea, it's gonna sit for a while. Might just make it run and ride it as is. What do you think your club members will think?

MikeBear

It might be cheaper to pick up a new crate engine from Ebay. I'm partial to the Piranha brand engines, and you could go 125cc to as much as 140cc as a drop-in replacement..

If you got it cheap enough, another $350 bucks for the engine, and you still have room to sell and make a bit of profit.

Jack at www.dratv.com will have parts for your bike and most likely a new Keihin carb for it.

The Ebay vendor known as WebLLC will also have a less expensive carb that is a Chinese knock off of a Keihin that will work for around $25-ish. Just make sure you buy the carb with the choke knob and fuel barb all on the left.

This knock off carb will also need a spacer between the manifold flange and the carb because it is slightly shorter from front to back and it will not reach a CT70 air cleaner. You can make this spacer out of a used regulation NHL hockey puck if you have access to a band saw and a drill press.

Rick

2006 Honda Foreman - Green
1973 Honda ST90 - Mighty Green
1974 Honda CT90 - Shiny Orange
1975 Honda ST90 - Topaz Orange
1976 Honda CT90 - Mars Orange

Jack at DrATV OPERATES HERE will have parts for your bike and most likely a new Keihin carb for it.

The Ebay vendor known as WebLLC will also have a less expensive carb that is a Chinese knock off of a Keihin that will work for around $25-ish. Just make sure you buy the carb with the choke knob and fuel barb all on the left.

This knock off carb will also need a spacer between the manifold flange and the carb because it is slightly shorter from front to back and it will not reach a CT70 air cleaner. You can make this spacer out of a used regulation NHL hockey puck if you have access to a band saw and a drill press.

Rick

Thanks for the Info Rick. Found a couple things I could use at good prices. :punk:

Well, I got 'ol Fugly running and made it around the block! This was just a mock up to see if it ran, shifted, etc. Runs pretty darned good. Might just keep it. If I do, it's coming apart for powdercoating and remove the rest of the fugly. And yes, I used the hammer to get it running. :hammer:

Attachments

Jack at DrATV OPERATES HERE will have parts for your bike and most likely a new Keihin carb for it.

Rick

I do want to give a shout out to dratv, a great source for Honda stuff of all sizes. They have treated me well, thanks for the tip Rick! :thumbsup:

Well, alot of progress has been made. Did some research and decided to go for it. It's a restomod, not a 100 point restore. Went with a Lifan 125. Also picked up a 12V wiring/light kit from mytrailbuddy.com. They are local to me and dedicated to CT70 restoration. Finished the full mock up and tear down. Frame came back from Magnum Powder Coating in a candy red, looks awesome. Got some assembly done this weekend. More to follow.
Mark IMAG0670 (1024x612).jpg IMAG0669 (1024x612).jpg IMAG0673 (1024x612).jpg IMAG0676 (1024x612).jpg

Thanks for all the great replies everybody. Yes Tom, I know Steve and the whole crew, they are customers of mine. Saw the great work they did and gave it a shot. Steve charged me $95 for complete cleaning (I dropped it off very dirty) and powdercoat (Base and topcoat) Well worth it in my book. He's looking forward to seeing more of the minibike folks at his shop.