Newbie and lo hours 3hp

Fisher1983

Hello OldMiniBikes, Im a newbie here and would like to share my low hours Briggs 3hp Im building for a Rupp frame. I got this engine from my Uncles shop a few days ago. It was attached to a failed Jacuzzi water pump. When he decided to scrap the thing I took the engine. Its all apart now to br ported, polished, deshrouded, etc. It was built in 1988 but the bore still has cross hatch! Furthermore theres a ball bearing on the PTO side. Im geeked about this and cant wait to get it going. Its not the 5hp I/C I set out to find but I think it will be a nice motor-vator for my Rupp. I cannot post pics from my mobile device but will upload from PC soon.

It is...the bore still has crosshatch and had perfect compression after sitting for FOUR YEARS! I'm excited to hear it run and should be enough juice for a while. I love the roller crank, but being there is no billet rods available I have to figure out to hook up the wind vane governor when I finish building my bike. I'll set it for about 3800 RPM.

old-timer

Scamming Member
I know, I wish they had made HP parts for the 3.5 Briggs myself. Very popular motor and I have at least 3 of them kicking around that I should, or would like to do something with. Anytime I find a good deal on one, I grab it just to have lol. Pretty much any flat head for that matter :shrug::laugh::laugh:

Vic

I love the old Flatties, but I'm considering using an OHV of some type for the chopper I'd like to scratch build. We will see what happens. I'll have more pics up soon, too.

old-timer

Scamming Member
I love the old Flatties, but I'm considering using an OHV of some type for the chopper I'd like to scratch build. We will see what happens. I'll have more pics up soon, too.
You might want to consider the Harbor Freight Predator motor. Pretty hard to beat for around $100.00 and they make all kinds of HP parts for them :thumbsup:

Well good, because the engine is looking so pretty now I'd hate to window that freshly ceramic painted block lol :laugh: 4000 rpm should be plenty for my stubby frame anyway. If Im lucky, I should have it back together this week in time to get my frame.

Fisher1983

Update: engine is assembled and mounted to my frame. But, the carb is garbage and floods at idle. RestoreKid has a Tec intake for me that ill install with my new Tec carb and a remote fuel tank. At least it ran! Im happy with the exhaust too, the bigger 5hp muffler gives it a deeper tone and its not too loud at all. Not bad for a taiwan Oreillys muffler. Pics soon.