Nine forward, three reverse, fully articulated

I will keep you posted as available on my overhaul of my project.

I have owned this vehicle since 1977, and ran it for the first 6 years. I stored it at a friends 5 acres west of Tucson for the next 25+ years, and am finally getting it back to operation.

My photos show the disassembly to date, and I am now blasting and painting. The engine is operable again, with new carb and point box, with gaskets (thanks - ebay!).

Welcome trapdoug : You information said you were involved in mining for copper but I think you will need to go back for some GOLD mining. LOL Well it sure is a heavy duty brute and be a good project. Who made the engine ? And you started out with pictures and that is a good thing to do. Good luck with your project.
Steve :scooter:

Engine for my machine

The engine is a 2 cylinder Onan CK-MS rated 10.1 hp at 3000 RPM. The carb was marked '53, and the vintage of engine appears to agree. I found a new carb and other parts on ebay, and now for paint and re-assembly. After reduction, there is more than enough power to climb and pull.

June 24, 2011

Fresh photos of this weeks progress. I got my fenders returned from paint, and the fuel tanks and battery box back from sheet metal fab/welder. The pictures show the unpainted 3.75 gallon tank in place.

Now comes the tedious job of wiring and fuel lines, fuel pump, installing the flex lines to accomodate the steering and articulation joints, etc.

Its a runner!

I got the fuel and clutch lines installed, and only need the permanent wiring to the fuel pump and tail lights to be 100% complete. The engine started and ran OK, but with some balky fits and starts. The new carburetor (new in box) was made in 1954, so it hasn't been set for air/fuel ratio and idle.

The timing may need some advance or retard, but I got about 200 yards away from home, before I had to walk it back. With the gearing, low power output just means you must pick lower sets of gears to motivate.

I got the fuel and clutch lines installed, and only need the permanent wiring to the fuel pump and tail lights to be 100% complete. The engine started and ran OK, but with some balky fits and starts. The new carburetor (new in box) was made in 1954, so it hasn't been set for air/fuel ratio and idle.

The timing may need some advance or retard, but I got about 200 yards away from home, before I had to walk it back. With the gearing, low power output just means you must pick lower sets of gears to motivate.

show us a picture of the matching trailer outside in the sun............

The trailer is equally robust! The side rails are 3x2x3/8" steel, and the inside rails are 2x2x1/4" steel.

In researching further on the engine, I think from the serial number that it was a Feb of 1945 manufacture. The military plugs sure make me feel the engine was a war surplus item.

I will work harder to get my nephew to video a little cruising with the machine, cause I am running out of tasks to do on it. I expect to use it at the Tucson Trap and Skeet club to go from my office volunteer work to the shooting line during our big shoots. We just installed an additional 25 trap fields, on 1/2 mile of newly leased acres. Lots of shooters bring their Clays carts to the fields, but no one will have one like mine!

Doug Sims

I would imagine that its low geared,but what would you estimate top speed?I know its built for power,just wondering.And you have done a award winning restoration in my opinion.
I would love to own on.Thanks for sharing.

The trailer is equally robust! The side rails are 3x2x3/8" steel, and the inside rails are 2x2x1/4" steel.

In researching further on the engine, I think from the serial number that it was a Feb of 1945 manufacture. The military plugs sure make me feel the engine was a war surplus item.

I will work harder to get my nephew to video a little cruising with the machine, cause I am running out of tasks to do on it. I expect to use it at the Tucson Trap and Skeet club to go from my office volunteer work to the shooting line during our big shoots. We just installed an additional 25 trap fields, on 1/2 mile of newly leased acres. Lots of shooters bring their Clays carts to the fields, but no one will have one like mine!

Doug Sims
I take it you made the trailer from scratch then painted it to match? Looks great!:thumbsup: