No electrical power 1974 xl70

I am having trouble getting electricity to anything on my 1974 Honda XL70. The bike starts and runs great but i can't get voltage to any of the accessories; horn, blinkers, neutral light, brake light, headlight, etc.. I have installed a brand new battery and have 6v power at the battery no problem. I have power up to the silicon rectifier and none down stream from that. Could a bad rectifier prevent me from getting voltage to the rest of the bike? Before anyone mentions it, yes I checked the fuse and it's good to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CarPlayLB

Hey Tiger,
I know nothin' 'bout nothin', but I do recall mention of some smaller bikes that would have issues if the tail light bulb was burned out. Apparently that completes a circuit. Just a thought...sorry if I am way off base!

Yes, old Honda rectifiers can definitely go bad. My son and I just recently replaced the OEM selenium rectifier in our vintage 1969 Honda CT90 K1. If indeed yours IS bad and causing your problems, I cannot tell you. The undisputed "Guru" of all things electrical on minibikes, go-carts, scooters, and motorcycles is one of our very own members "Inventorpardue" (Jon). He checks into the forum fairly often, so he will hopefully see you post soon and share some of his wisdom. Please check back when you get it solved and let us know what it was.
Michael

chrisr

if you can find the wiring diagram for your bike you can start at the source and work your way to the head light. Seems like the older metric bikes the wiring ends up behind the headlight. The wire colors without the wiring diagram may not be what you think they are and your looking for a hot lead and you are on the ground wire. Included is a link to some 1974 xl70 wiring diagrams.

https://www.google.com/search?q=197...X&ved=0ahUKEwj3vvO57ubJAhVH9mMKHTwoC3EQsAQIGw

I am having trouble getting electricity to anything on my 1974 Honda XL70. The bike starts and runs great but i can't get voltage to any of the accessories; horn, blinkers, neutral light, brake light, headlight, etc.. I have installed a brand new battery and have 6v power at the battery no problem. I have power up to the silicon rectifier and none down stream from that. Could a bad rectifier prevent me from getting voltage to the rest of the bike? Before anyone mentions it, yes I checked the fuse and it's good to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.