no notice in power with mods????

I just got my motor together yesterday and took it out for a spin. Did not really notice any big improvments. The motor is a 6.5hp clone. I have a jetted carb arc rod, flywheel, and 18lb springs. oh and i also removed the gov. I am wondering if i dont have the valves adjusted right or something. I have the lash set to .003 on exhaust and .002 on intake. I also just cut off the stock muffler and have about a 2 inch pipe. could that be the prob.? the air intake is stock as well. any help would be great.

I just got my motor together yesterday and took it out for a spin. Did not really notice any big improvments. The motor is a 6.5hp clone. I have a jetted carb arc rod, flywheel, and 18lb springs. oh and i also removed the gov. I am wondering if i dont have the valves adjusted right or something. I have the lash set to .003 on exhaust and .002 on intake. I also just cut off the stock muffler and have about a 2 inch pipe. could that be the prob.? the air intake is stock as well. any help would be great.
Check it and see if its running a little rich. 2 inch pipe is a little short. The little engine might want a little more back pressure. But you really didnt do anything that would increase performance much. The governor should have definately made a difference though.

You would have gotten a performance increase from a new cam while you were in there.

you need to increase air flow for one. and the stuff you did to the engine will not show a great improvement in performance. Maybe put a .265 cam in it ($50)

you need to increase air flow for one. and the stuff you did to the engine will not show a great improvement in performance. Maybe put a .265 cam in it ($50)
I have to agree. Cheap cam, air filter with adaptor and a decent header will wake it up for sure. You could also file the flywheel key and advance the timing 4-8 degrees. You need to get more air flowing though it.:thumbsup:

ok im planning on getting a better air filter this weekend. everyone is saying to get a cam. what is the best cam i can get without havint to change alot? im looking for a high top end speed. my friend and i are seeing who can build the fastest engine.

Yea those are nice. I've also got a CL1M I'd let go of fairly cheaply that's unused. Cam is probably going to give you the most increase other than changing the head. At least you have invested in quality parts for safety already so that's out of the way for when you start to really build up performance.

STop right there.....

There will be no increase in power if you are running the stock air filter.
You need a proper exhaust what you have is just a mufler chopped off isn't it.....

You made no compression increase and no timing increase.....

Net result is almost nothing........

Get a proper header and air filter.
Second thing is all those mods are to allow the engine to rev up and make more power/
If you are not turning 5000 rpm or more you will not feel any difference.

Had you increased compression AND OR added a bigger carb with a good header you would feel more power across the board. Header and Carb only tends to be an above 4000 rpm power increase.

yeah just chopped it off. thinking about welding up my own exhaust.

I am thinking about advancing the timing but not sure if i shoul do 8 degrees or 4?

also everyone is talking about changing the head for a gx160. i do not really understand that cause wouldnt the valves be smaller??
what type of carb do i add?? I need to find a cheap one. im in college right now so i dont have a ton of extra money.

what type of piston should i get to bump up the compression?
im aiming the engine more for high top end.

any help is great thanks!!!!

Sooner79

The most noticeable power increases will come from a free flow intake, a bigger main jet (throw a 140 E-tube in when you're changing the jet) and a decent (braced) header.

I agree a cam would help big time . Tim Isky sells the black mamba for 50 bucks too . It's slightly bigger at .270 tho. Hit him up he's a Koo dude . Smallenginecams.com.

yeah just chopped it off. thinking about welding up my own exhaust.

I am thinking about advancing the timing but not sure if i shoul do 8 degrees or 4?

also everyone is talking about changing the head for a gx160. i do not really understand that cause wouldnt the valves be smaller??
what type of carb do i add?? I need to find a cheap one. im in college right now so i dont have a ton of extra money.

what type of piston should i get to bump up the compression?
im aiming the engine more for high top end.

any help is great thanks!!!!
A machine shop will mill .010 to .020 off the head for prob 25.00 raising your compression if you dont want to pull the piston off the rod.

Tell you what:

If you get a 14cc head ( try and get one from a blown up GX160 5.5hp clone ) and are willing to pay postage from Ohio to Ontario and back I will port and polish it for you free.

I might be able to get one here and I have some new 22 cc heads I could massage but milling cost.

You need some stainless steel valves and ARC locks and retainers the stock clone parts will let you down and wreck the engine.

If you buy a cam you could order a ZM4 piston and rings for an additional 25 dollars from Tim Isky.
This with a slightly milled 22cc head could get you to a decent compression about 10 to 10.5 :1 (.050 is a good place to be for modest engine that needs to be reliable ).

You can stay with the stock carb but its a limiting factor.
I have been looking at a carb from an older Techumseh engine.
An 11hp snow blower OHV engine myself as a cheap alternative. 85% this will work already ( provided its an early one with adjustable low and high speed jets ).

Header shoud be something lile 14 to 18 inches and inside diamter of around .800

I would not run more than 4 deg of timing unless you plan on turning faster than 6500 rpm. More timing makes more power but you loose power lower down on the RPM range. BUt this depends on the cam too. If you have a lot of durration you will need to rev the engine higher and need more timing. Thats why I sugest less duration on less powerful motors you want to put around on. I like the looks of his 275 lift at 230 durration for a mild motor btu I would ask him for his advice. I would also sugest his cast steel Champion rockers in place of the stock ones or use Honda ( clone parts break )

jprice

OldMiniBikes.com
ok im planning on getting a better air filter this weekend. everyone is saying to get a cam. what is the best cam i can get without havint to change alot? im looking for a high top end speed. my friend and i are seeing who can build the fastest engine.
grude racing love it hahha!
you guys running the same gear?