Off road kart plans from the 60s

I am wondering if anyone remembers, has seen or heard of what I think was called the "dune bug" set of plans, available in the back of Boys Life and Popular Mechanics back in the 60s (maybe 70s as well?)

Essentially this was a very simple go kart plans with a bit of side protection which had what looked like ATC 70 wheels. They were a bit bigger than a normal go kart type knobby tire, and I think this provided the suspension.

I am trying to find someone that has built one or has a set of plans they would be willing to sell.

Among the Rupp Roadster, the Heathkit Boonie and the Honda Minitrail, this is one of the items from my youth that I lusted over that I just have to find.

Thanks

Craig

Last edited:
Thanks that is getting me close. I see all the old ads for the Heald Super Trike and the Super Bronc... it is getting close. What a trip looking at Popular Mechanics I studied at 10 years old, and remember many of the articles... crazy! Thanks

Sure enough I found it!

Boys life 1974 - Dune-Bug. The ad was much smaller than I remember, it was the coolest thing. These magazines were Minibike ManiA!

Craig

I found this picture HERE, is this what your looking for plans of.

That thing reminds me of the gokart my brother had with a simple pivoting front axle no rear suspension.It was on four decent knobby ATV tires and an 8 horse engine that taught me why you dont over rev an engine on ice.:no: (yeah I blew the connecting rod)

EDIT:found this as well.

Last edited:
That is the one! i had never seen one built. Thank you.

I looked back through the magazines, and the plans were 2.00 for about 25 years and then 3.00 for the last 10 that they advertised the "dune-bug".

Very cool. Will post if they still have the plans. It of course is now replaced with something like the Honda buggy, but I wanted thing so bad when I was 9 it was painful.

cheers.

Dune- Bug by Bug Industries now

So they are still making vintage karts and parts. K & P MFG The grandson still runs it, apparently.

He has found a set of plans so I am working to get a copy. He sent me a sample, it has these amazing prices for components if you wanted to buy them all from them. 3.95 for rear axle, .35 for a sheet metail bracket and 2.95 for the steering hoop. Wow, very cool.

If you are into vintage carts, they sell the same bug sprint chassis for about 2000. Very nice.

Hopefully will be building a dune-bug soon.

Cheers

Craig

Well get the plans and have at it.:smile:

Did he say how much the plans would cost ?

I wonder if the plans show how to make that fiberglas piece? I doubt they still make those.

I'm new here but I saw this post and wanted to let everyone know I have a copy of the plans and such for the Dune-Bug and will be scanning them in tonight at work.
Jeff

Gotta say I've gotten a few responses out of the scanned files. :) One of my problems I had with the design was the single tube structure front to rear. For a simple lawn kart with a 80 lb kid and a 3hp engine, there wouldn't be much of a problem. But put a 10hp engine and a full grown adult (200lb), that frame is going to bend all to hell in no time. It is interesting though that in the original packet, they say to build the frame from 1.5" square tubing but the promo picture is of round (1"?) tubing with an < frame from the front to rear, mounting the rear bearing carriers top and bottom.
The other problem was no brush guard/ roll cage...but this was the early 80's when cleaning out the gene pool was accepted. Nowadays, every snowflake is precious... :/
Jeff