Ogy's rant !

Occasionally I have noticed a pattern of behavior on OldMiniBikes that irritates the hell out of me. At the risk of pissing a few people off I am going to express my opinion regarding this behavior. One of the main rules on this site is that we don't give appraisals or estimates of value or opinions on what someone's minibike is worth. Even though this rule is conspicuously posted and nearly impossible to miss; we still get the occasional "hey guys, I'm new here and I'm going to sell my minibike and I was just wondering if you guys could tell how much it's worth?" Or the more clever "price seekers" (in order to mask their true intentions) will say something like; "A guy I know has this Z50 and he wants 200 bucks for it. Is it a good deal or should I pull the trigger on this one? Then our guys come back and say; we don't give appraisals on this site BUT if it were me I'd give him 200 for it. Or; we don't give prices on here BUT I'd offer him 150 for it. Or; it's worth whatever you're willing to pay for it But I see them go for more than that on ebay all the time so I think it's worth it. Can anyone explain to me why this is not the same as giving appraisals, or estimates of value, or opinions as to what the questioners bike is worth? The guy posting the value request can maybe be forgiven because he is a newbie or just too lazy or stupid to read a sticky or the site rules. But anyone who has been on this site for more than 30 days knows that we don't give appraisals because in the past. doing so, has lead to hurt feelings and some nasty exchanges between members. To be fair; most members politely tell the price seeker to look on ebay or on Craig's List, or in the for sale sections of this site. Those are the perfect answers. My bitch is with the knuckleheads who can't pass up the opportunity to show how knowledgeable they are....and feel that by dutifully acknowledging the "no prices rule" first....they are then somehow free to offer prices, appraisals, or opinions as to prices. The result is that the "price seeker" got the information that he wanted and you look like jerk who has just been duped by someone with a superior set of language skills. That's my opinion guys. If the shoe fits...then this post if for you. If it doesn't...then you've got nothing to complain about. Ogy

I agree Ogy. Another case is where they ask and someone posts "PM sent!" The PM is usually to offer to buy it from the guy (fine and dandy), to give them a value (wrong), or worse to tell the guy that the price the he thought was a good value is way too low because the bike is "Rare" and that he should ask more and not let anyone here buy it for what he originally wanted (WTF!). That takes place on ebay a well.

buckeye

That exact situation has played out many times.
I remember a guy posted a couple of Grass Hopper choppers down this way.
I had made a pretty good deal through pm's.

Next thing I know, the guy suddenly realized they were worth more than our deal.

Wonder where he got his sudden price knowledge???

Last edited:
Well said!I feel there is a difference between price fishing and letting other members know what you paid for an item. Any of us who have been around enough know what the value is of most things to do with Mini Bikes--all that remains is to decide if you want to pay that for it. On the other hand the RUSH in this hobby is finding something that you get for a great price because the seller didn't know what it was or you are a great negotiator. I don't see a problem with sharing this with the members as it is part of the excitement of not only finding the part or bike but getting a really good deal on it.In that case we are merely SHARING experiences and not looking for confirmation on price.I had the same experience as Buck with a LIL Indian--the guy asked one price, then tried to shop price here but got no-where and ended up selling it to me but this took a long time. Do you know how many bikes I have bought for my grandson---and I don't have one?--the joys of being an old guy!

I like to stick my finger in there sometimes and stir.
And I never wash my fingers....

Ogy If I could I would buy you a beer and make things better.

It remains however a right to speak your mind.
And you better exercise that right or one morning you will wake up and find they passed a law banning it.

I like to stick my finger in there sometimes and stir.
And I never wash my fingers....

Ogy If I could I would buy you a beer and make things better.

It remains however a right to speak your mind.
And you better exercise that right or one morning you will wake up and find they passed a law banning it.
NOS, And that's exactly what I'm doing. Exercising my right and speaking my mind. I'm not sure about that finger thing though. But as long as it doesn't involve me; I don't have a problem with it. Thanks for writing. Ogy

NOS, And that's exactly what I'm doing. Exercising my right and speaking my mind. I'm not sure about that finger thing though. But as long as it doesn't involve me; I don't have a problem with it. Thanks for writing. Ogy
Ogy:
You ever bend over to pick up something heavy and blow a hemroid out?
Well I have.....
And you ever decide the only proper course of action is to push it back up?
Well that finger is on my shaking hand lol.

Sorry about the WOP cracks and things I say you have taken offence too in the past.
Thats just how people up here talk...
Nothing bad about it.
Now you should hear my adopted Irish daughter....

I hope your rant clears the air....

Neck

Growing up is optional
I just want to say, I take great pleasure in reading your posts Ogy, as well as the posts from many other members here. I must also say, I kind of wish you got irritated more often!

Bikerscum

I got worked by a member here over a Lil Indian brake caliper. Agreed on a price then he backed out & sold it to someone else for more $$.

Karma.

I came from nothing and will leave with nothing.
What have I got to loose but nothing lol.

No one will shake my hand anymore will they?

Last edited: