original baja db30

howdy all, newbie here. been seeing alot of younger groups riding in packs, mini bike all over now. so i been interested i building one or having one built. i buy storage units, side hustle. came up on a really nice baja db30. has the slanted back bars. red and black bike. put gas in and fired up. throttle is stuck and im sure carb needs clean. at first i was going to strip and build. but since discontinued, plenty parts amazon cheap, but i think ill leave original, sell and buy something not so classic lookimg. lookimg to build a fast rat rod style bike. what would an original be worth. gd friend offered $400. which is fair to me. are these better left original if complete or is it better to strip and build. the slanted back bars seem way to close to me as id rather have some not so back. anyways, opinons, advice appreciated.

Hello @John C Stidman welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum !

We're not allowed to discuss value, per forum rules.

But, if he offered you that, you better jump on it.

Those db30s are everywhere, and they are not classic imo.

Keep us posted.

Sure John, what kind of riding are you looking to do ?
just putt around the hood, well race around lol. jk. id like a nice modified build. fast and quick, rat rod style. harleys and my gsxr i used to have was my thing to ride. was in bad accident couple yrs ago on gsxr and havent rode harley since. just no desire. but i love to ride, so been thinking about it for awhile. i been researching lil bit on here. cant believe the knowledge and great builds yall have. i see a nice gtx or whatever the brand is called here in my town for sale pretty modified out with preditor 212. but id rather build cause i dont know the lifespan of these modified motors. are they like racing dirtbikes, changing top end every couple races lol. or do they last a bit. appreiciate all advice. im 54 yrs young. still like to play. so mini bike is my nxt toy. i just dont think that db30 is what i want to build. whats the difference in the 2 db30 models. i see mine, slanted back bars and another online that is slanted forward? thanks in advance

Would this be a gd start? Kinda what I'm aiming for but don't want to get into too much modified. No top fuel stuff lol. If you can tell from these pics, is this more maintained than ride or do these actually last awhile before fresh rebuilds. ? Thanks.

Attachments

Hello @John C Stidman welcome to the Oldminibikes.com forum !

We're not allowed to discuss value, per forum rules.

But, if he offered you that, you better jump on it.

Those db30s are everywhere, and they are not classic imo.

Keep us posted.
Thank you. What I really meant was keep it original. I have no idea the date or model. I see 2 online with different bar positions vut sane model. Thanks again. Lots great info here and nice builds.

Yeah, what @sparkwizard said.

Btw...I really like the frame on that mini you are looking at.

I understand what you mean about the motor. I've never rebuilt one, so I can't advise you on it.

If you like it's looks, see if he'll sell you the rolling frame at a good price.

Or lowball him on the while bike, and ride it while you build your motor !

DaddyJohn

AFAIK, no Chinese bike built in the last 25 years or so (or maybe ever) have any “collector” value. They’re cheap and easy to find.

As a newb, I wouldn’t worry about building an engine right off the bat. A stock Predator’s performance would surprise you with how it’ll move one of those little things! If you feel the need, you can always build and modify as you go.

The 2nd mini you posted has a GTS frame. Pretty cool, and not necessarily collectible as of yet, but maybe in a couple generations, lol…

https://gtcmanufacturing.com/products/gts-minibike-frame

Last edited:

DaddyJohn

whats the difference in the 2 db30 models. i see mine, slanted back bars and another online that is slanted forward?
The one with the bars tilted forward would be a 1st generation Baja Doodlebug, and the one with them coming straight up and back is a 2nd generation Doodlebug (aka DB30). I find the 1st gen much nicer, for ergonomics AND looks. It’s got a much more classic mini look to it.