overpowering a 6 inch driven comet torque a verter? fixes? other clutch options?

joshua. c.

I have an ohh55 powered trike that I've been slowly modifying for more and more power. as of my last mod switching from the stock carb to a tecumseh 10 hp carb I gained a ton of power but now my driven keeps un winding itself. It keeps pulling the clutch cam past the rubber stops and looses all tension. I tried another unit and the same problem. would A 7 inch driven fix this? and if not what other clutch could I use.?

I built my 196 on my ct200u out to about 15hp and 7000 rpm, I kept maxing the torque converter out by pinching the belt. Take your driver pully apart and see how it works, theres not a whole heck of a lot going on. Mine blew up in the woods and I found most of it. A trip the hardware store and 20 minutes she was back in action. Your probably pushing the v section so high by binding it that it releases some how. I'm not a professional or a mechanic but it was a similar problem I had to address.

SAS289

That is so funny in the video when he goes "So that is your overdrive, and it just kills it".

His problem looks like a driven issue. But I just can't see how the cam would roll over those plastic buttons unless they were broken or wore down. It doesn't even look like it's possible with the buttons in place.

If he does the modification I would think it would take a slight amount of tension out of the pulleys where the driver won't bind completely. If its the actual power being the problem you'd know. Its cheaper than buying or ruining another unit if it is indeed pulling past the cams and unwinding the spring itself. Maybe I got lucky with my tav at that time but I pounded the bag out of that unit and it never did something that dramatic.... what about traction though? If its on a live axle and there is too much friction? The belt should slip a bit but if he's binding it hard enough and those wheels aren't spinning fast enough, could it then start exaggerating the torque on the secondary??

SAS289

Another question (as usual) is what gearing with how tall a tire? Without ample gearing you are going to stress the TAV with the bigger than spec (max 8hp) power being applied.

The guys who drag race with these put big power to it. But they use more than 7/1 gearing and 7 inch drivens with the yellow spring to delay the shift. With the 7 inch driven there is no OD. Their maximum stress comes from the initial launch. But after the bike gets rolling the better gearing and no OD makes less stress on the system.

He may very well need a 40 series if gearing isn't part of the problem. They can handle double the power of a 30 series according to the Comet spec sheets.

This is an extremely helpful thread. I'm going to do an atv conversion for my "learning to weld" project. I'm really thinking it would behoove a guy to get a bigger quad, a Predator 301 and a 40 series just to avoid these issues.

joshua. c.

I tried swapping the driven to another good unit and it did the same thing. I might give the 7 inch a try. it could be initial resistance, the tires have a tendency of spitting dirt on take off. and the trike is running 2 jack shafts 1 on the plate and the stock one the trike came with. I plan on eliminating the back plate soon and have all the parts to do it already. I wish I could watch it happening it would make diagnosing it easier. the spacer might help or it might not but and I was thinking of trying that anyways to gain more top end speed so it couldn't hurt.

I'd give it a shot. At the very least it would cut down on the initial resistance when you accelerate full throttle. Picture how fast that belt binds with the added RPMs, your delivering a very significant jerk on the rear pulley with a lot of torque. That transfers through the jack shafts in a split second before the back wheels spin from the slack that is needed in the chain(s). So with that split second your giving it a real donkey punch from a dead stop.

SAS289

This is an extremely helpful thread. I'm going to do an atv conversion for my "learning to weld" project. I'm really thinking it would behoove a guy to get a bigger quad, a Predator 301 and a 40 series just to avoid these issues.
I tried swapping the driven to another good unit and it did the same thing. I might give the 7 inch a try. it could be initial resistance, the tires have a tendency of spitting dirt on take off. and the trike is running 2 jack shafts 1 on the plate and the stock one the trike came with. I plan on eliminating the back plate soon and have all the parts to do it already. I wish I could watch it happening it would make diagnosing it easier. the spacer might help or it might not but and I was thinking of trying that anyways to gain more top end speed so it couldn't hurt.
At what point of power delivery does this happen? Is it prior to or after the belt shifts?

Is there a shock to the system once it hooks up after the wheel spin? Or is the belt shifting during the wheel spin but quickly switching back into "low" once traction is regained. Switching back to low too quick causing the shock to the system? Going back to low would send the cam upwards onto the plastic buttons. Maybe the action is too violent?

I don't think the 7 inch pulley would help. It has the same mechanics as the 6 inch. It's just a bigger pully. I guess it is possible that it may help. (???)

I've been pushing around 17hp through a 6" Comet driven with no issues at almost 7,000rpm.
Aren't those Comets rated for 2200/3100 on engagement too? My Hisun 196 would bind out on a Tav2, I wish I had put a tach on it. I've heard claims that the Juggernaut spins well over 4000 and tested as high as 8000 which is just bonkers with a torque converter.

Aren't those Comets rated for 2200/3100 on engagement too? My Hisun 196 would bind out on a Tav2, I wish I had put a tach on it. I've heard claims that the Juggernaut spins well over 4000 and tested as high as 8000 which is just bonkers with a torque converter.
I'm running a Juggernaut on mine. Like I said, it's seen almost 7,000 rpm so far. I haven't ridden it anywhere with enough space to really wind it out comfortably. The Comet driven seems to do just fine.

Attachments