Paint vs powder coat

Trying to decide between the two. I can get everything powder coated for about $100 or I can strip, sand and paint for probably half that. I don't plan on taking it off road except for the yard. What does everyone prefer when redoing a mini bike?

One of the most discussed (and opinionated!) topics ever discussed on this forum. Do a "Google Custom Search" (scroll to the top of this page) and you will have plenty to read.
Michael

Go powder if you can get it all done for $100. For a good two stage epoxy primer and base+clear will be over $100. Paint is expensive. If getting it PC includes sandblasting opt for PC.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I paint with an automotive body shop style paint gun and do things myself.

Therefore, I get great satisfaction mixing and making up colors, then painting it.

Automotive paint will stand up better than any spray can but, Will not stand up as well as Powder coat.

Automotive paint will stand up better than any spray can but, Will not stand up as well as Powder coat.
Maknwar,

And the other side is that paint is reasonably easy to repair damage than powder coat is. It really is a 50-50 choice...and ultimately your choice which direction you choose. Automotive and powder both can come out tremendous.

I started out with powder on the first four bikes and have been doing paint on the next three. I like them both.

Doc

Last edited:
lol, single color for $100. I was quoted $175 for a two coat color like illusion red.
If they sandblast and PC for a $100 bill it would be one less decision to make for me. You drop your bike off all crusty and pick it back up nice and shiny, no brainer. I'm all about self resourcefulness but that's a bargain. Good spray gun for color and clear $100. $20 for an epoxy primer gun with a big tip. Air compressor $1000 to run your DA and spray guns. If it's a decent compressor you need a dedicated 220 breaker box for it, and might as well add a 220 plug while your at it. Just messing around but seriously the PC sounds like a good deal.

Davis

Powder is fine but very hard to touch up and you better have a flawless frame as powder doesn't stick to body fillers so as far as final product paint is better as you can fix and primer all imperfections.

I mostly use PC...and if there is an imperfection, I either metal braze it or use JB Weld...and PC sticks to both very well. PC has gotten A LOT better in the past few years with regard to the multitude of colors available, but occasionally they don't have the right color and then I'll paint it. PC is generally better for most mini bikers because it's A LOT more durable than paint (yes hard to 'touch up), and you drop it off, they SB it, and then PC it. Nice, easy process, and not terribly expensive. If you can't tell, I'm a big fan, lol...