Pak - mule....?

Dick DeBuse

Pac -mule

They were made by the Drivex Co in Madrid, Iowa. They were also sold thru Wards. There were at least 3 models, one with folding handle bars. I have never seen one with a Continental Engine. The ones I've seen have Briggs engines and Salsbury torque converters. There are pics and scans of literature on Tote Gote Land. I suspect the Continental engine with lighting coil was retrofitted to power the headlight.

Last edited:
I like it a lot the very cool engine and the top mounted fuel tank. The big wheels and the pull out cargo rack in the back. The flip down stand is nice to have on any bike but few do.
Steve :scooter:

pak mule

any thoughts on its collectability or what it might be worth? It just sits in my garage and just doesn't get the love it deserves. I am having the seat re covered, it got brittle.

Hello jeeperz46 : Being parked in your garage is nice and safe true but that bike was made to work and explore the hills and valleys of your area. one thing you are wrong about is the transmission is actually a torque converter system and provides a variable gear ratio from 3:00 to 1:00 in low and a final of 1:00 to 1:00 in high
I would guess your value in today's market to be about $400.00 Of course mine is just a guess so make sure it runs and good luck.
Steve :scooter:

thanks for the posts -

:thumbsup: Yea it starts on the first pull, runs great and is suprisingly fast! I don't think I'll ever sell it, somewhere I have the orig owners manual and sales reciept from when my grandmother, yes... grandmother purchased it in culver city CA.

Pack mule

:scooter:I just came across a Packmule and knew nothing about them until I Looked on here, Now I have a better idea of how to go about Rebuilding it. I'll see if I can put on the Pic's.

The Sportsman Pak-Mule

This is a sportsman pak-mule, not a pack-mule made by drivex.

These were manufactured by Christiansen Machine. They had a machine shop in Ranchita back in the days. In my Grandpas days our families used to go camping and duning together.

We fired up an old pak a few days ago that we picked up from thier shop a while back. Had to modify a few parts but is works!

You said you had a manual and receipt? Is there any way you could scan those and email them to me? thepl@hotmail.com

According to my dad, the Christiansans sued tote-gote for copyright but since they never filed for the patents on the pak they didn't win the lawsuit. Tote then took off when it being mass produced. The paks just died out. I guess my Gpa owned 5-6 at one point.

I know they still own the ranch in ranchita but the machine business is long gone. Most of the family members my dad remembers have passed. It might be worth while calling the business line and seeing if anyone picks up. They might have some spare parts lying around.

I don't know what the heck the drivex pack-mule is. My dad doesn't know either.

Pak Mule owners manual wanted

Looking for the new owner of this bike that came with a manual/receipt. I would very much like to have a copy of the manual/receipt to go with my Pak Mule bike. Please PM me if you would be so kind. I will pay postage or if you can possible scan and e-mail? Thanks Dave

This thing has been in the family for over 40 years - its got a badge that says pak-mule and a continental 175 engine, 2 speed trans and still runs great! Any idea of who made these or more info about it? Thanks -

View attachment 16846

View attachment 16847

View attachment 16848

I am really impressed!

Looking at this Pak-Mule. I can see where Manco got the frame design for the Bigcat.

WELCOME to all of you new OldMiniBikes members!

Come out to FunDay#3. At MiniBikePauls shop. I'd like to visit with Trail Scooter collectors.
We will be camped there in the big white van.

Bullhead

This is a sportsman pak-mule, not a pack-mule made by drivex.

These were manufactured by Christiansen Machine. They had a machine shop in Ranchita back in the days. In my Grandpas days our families used to go camping and duning together.

We fired up an old pak a few days ago that we picked up from thier shop a while back. Had to modify a few parts but is works!

You said you had a manual and receipt? Is there any way you could scan those and email them to me? thepl@hotmail.com

According to my dad, the Christiansans sued tote-gote for copyright but since they never filed for the patents on the pak they didn't win the lawsuit. Tote then took off when it being mass produced. The paks just died out. I guess my Gpa owned 5-6 at one point.

I know they still own the ranch in ranchita but the machine business is long gone. Most of the family members my dad remembers have passed. It might be worth while calling the business line and seeing if anyone picks up. They might have some spare parts lying around.

I don't know what the heck the drivex pack-mule is. My dad doesn't know either.
I am new to this forum but not new to the Pak Mule. My last name is Christensen and it was My Grandfather that used to make them. This is very exciting to see some running bikes still out there.