pick find of 2011

delray

last year i started a thread tittle
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/26707-my-pick-find-2010-a.html
this year i am going to make it just pick find of 2011 for anyone who thinks he found his best pick of the year(2011):thumbsup:
i was going to wait unit the end of the year to post my pick,but i think it happen today. you just don't see alot of them in my neck of the woods,so i had to get it.:smile:
model 660 TOTE GOAT

george3

where have no idea where your neck of the woods is. you dont have it posted by your name. Why?

delray

View My Photos

delray

sorry george:doah: wisconsin. thats a long ways from utah.(made)
i don't think there was to many dealers here in the 60's selling them:shrug: or none ?

george3

sorry george:doah: wisconsin. thats a long ways from utah.(made)
i don't think there was to many dealers here in the 60's selling them:shrug: or none ?
Still wondering why you dont list your city and state by your name?
well here is mine.

nice score, well ill help get the ball rolling
, heres mine i got from scooterboy and he shipped it up to me. i like it very much and im glad he took the time to see that i got the rig i wanted. cool thread btw

Last edited:

george3

All three super cool finds. the goat is missing the gear reduction. If it was me I wouldn't run the reduction anyway maybe 40 series drive system not so low geared. Cool, front brake and suspension also.

delray

nice thing about the bike. anything that is missing wouldn't be hard to fab up. old bikes like that are just made up of tubing,angle iron,..etc....
think the hard part that i can only see would be that plastic tank? unless thats a repro and someone is making it? and there is ton of old briggs in this state. i can't count how many times i have trip over them at swaps and places.:doah:
probable wouldn't need the low gearing. not to many mountains in my neck of the woods..........:laugh:

delray

metal richard,thanks :thumbsup: they sure look plastic...:laugh:
richard i did little research on it last night. what was the engine size. 6 or 7hp:shrug: or lower:shrug:

It could have had either motor. I've seen a 660-7 that had a 7hp. Most 665's had 6hp. This was made right when Briggs was changing from 6hp to 7hp and Tote Gote didn't hesitate to use the larger motor. They are the same size so either would fit ( so would a 8hp). I have one 665 apart and another that is waiting for rebuiding. They were the first tote gote to use the teardrop tank and rear shocks. The 660 was the first to have the long travel forks.

delray

are you also saying the 660 had teardrop tank too and rear shocks. even though it's a lower number then 665.:shrug: it looks to have the correct gas tank bracket?

Yes, it looks like you have the right brackets for the teardrop tank. I think the 665 came first, then the 660 had the improved long travel forks. I think the '65' in 665 is for the year, but generally tote gote numbers seem random. The model #660 was first used on the tote gote snowmobile, then the tote gote you have and later on a dunegote model...Go figure

george3

One of these Briggs 6HP would be kind of hard to find. It was around 60-62 dont remember,tote gote engine.

If it was me I would look for one these power horses. The briggs 8HP should fit like a glove.

delray

ok richard, are you saying my bike would be a 1960? and before i forget too. my serial numer is 192. do they also use that number has the 192 bike built? or just random number they use..

george3 around here they are not to hard to find. i have seen alot of them in the pass,but just no use for them. they are just to big for anything to use on. except totes.......:scooter:
briggs where built right here in WI....:thumbsup:
i found this picture richard and george. side cover on your engine have the lines and B&S stamp on it.

If I had to guess, I would say the model 660 is 1966. When the briggs 7hp came out in 1967, tote gote started all their model numbers with 7 (750, 760, 770 and 780). The motors from the year of your 660 would have the embossed lines and 'BS' on the recoil/fan shroud. The 6hp motors only had 8 head bolts where the 7hp and 8hp had 9 head bolts. The model 14 (6hp) briggs is a little harder to find parts and information but I have found them to have better castings and detail than the newer motors.

delray

yes 1966, thats what i ment to type in:doah: not 60:doah::eek:ut:
ok cool richard thanks for the info:thumbsup:
i thought the stamp B&S ended in the early 60's on the smaller engines.:shrug: for example the 2,3hp....bigger 6hp's had them still.

Yes, the date code is the same back to about 1959. On earlier motors like the one in Georges' post, you have to compare the serial # to a list of production dates. When tote gote started making the model P and 600, Briggs had a backlog of production. Some of the model P's had motors much older than the tote gote. I have seen a model P with a motor that dated back to 1952.