Picked up what I think is an old Tote Gote model B?

Triley41395

Wondering if anyone has advice on getting it running again! Rear axle seems like it might be seized, a lot of rusted bolts. I have some PB Blaster, but any other suggestions on how to tear down with minimal damage? View attachment 311532
Patients, I like to mix automatic transmission fluid and dot 3 brake fluid with something like mineral spirits to thin it out in a spray bottle. Spray everything and let it sit for a couple weeks and spray it again. Let it soak for a month before you start tearing it down.

Hey OddJobGarage, nice find! All good suggestions about soaking hardware before loosening. Just be careful of soaking friction material in the front brakes and the rear brake band (assuming that they are still useable). Please keep us posted on your progress.

Patients, I like to mix automatic transmission fluid and dot 3 brake fluid with something like mineral spirits to thin it out in a spray bottle. Spray everything and let it sit for a couple weeks and spray it again. Let it soak for a month before you start tearing it down.
By using this method, the brake fluid will soften any paint and allow the oil to penetrate. Most penetrating oils will not do anything for paint. PB will evaporate too fast for soaking anything.

The chain is probably rusted and can easily be replaced (#50 roller chain). Most worn or rusted parts can easily be replaced except the clutch. Do you have the Salsbury 400 clutch or the Bonham 'Climbaway' clutch. The model B Tote Gote was produced with either.
View attachment 311538
I believe it's the stock climbaway, it doesn't look like the Salisbury after a quick google. Bless you for having this schematic, I couldn't find it anywhere!

Hey OddJobGarage, nice find! All good suggestions about soaking hardware before loosening. Just be careful of soaking friction material in the front brakes and the rear brake band (assuming that they are still useable). Please keep us posted on your progress.
The front brakes are gone, so I don't have to worry about that. Looks like the back ones are dry rotted, so I will probably have to replace them too. Always good to be careful though!

By using this method, the brake fluid will soften any paint and allow the oil to penetrate. Most penetrating oils will not do anything for paint. PB will evaporate too fast for soaking anything.
The paint is in such bad shape I don't think it'll matter at this point, I was going to strip it down to the bare metal and refinish it if possible. I'll let you know how it goes!