Please help with brakes

That brake shoe setup is a great idea. The only down fall is, because the shoe curves opposite of the tire, there is very little contact area. If a shoe could be found, that curved to fit the tire, that would be an awesome brake.
On second thought, why can't a piece of shoe material be bonded/riveted to a proper steel brake?

Triley41395

That brake shoe setup is a great idea. The only down fall is, because the shoe curves opposite of the tire, there is very little contact area. If a shoe could be found, that curved to fit the tire, that would be an awesome brake.
On second thought, why can't a piece of shoe material be bonded/riveted to a proper steel brake?
You probably could use brake pad material on an original shoe but it looks like the one on that bird is split, maybe have it welded then add the material to it. You might also consider a clutch brake for your bike.

manchester1 is correct and the first one that comes to mind is OldMiniBikes member Jeff Clark. (I bought 2 of them from him- they were very high quality and an exact replica). He sold a number of them on this forum. Even if he is not fabricating them anymore maybe another member bought one that they never used and would be willing to sell it. Get your wanted ad in the classified section.
Michael

You probably could use brake pad material on an original shoe but it looks like the one on that bird is split, maybe have it welded then add the material to it. You might also consider a clutch brake for your bike.
I wasn't speaking directly about the OPs brake, (with regards to putting a pad on a brake). That's why I said, "a proper steel brake". That said, you're right, that brake could be welded, but it looks like it might be getting a little thin in the center. Most likely, that's the reason for the crack.

toomanytoys

I gave one of those away a few weeks ago. Buddy was fixing an old sears up for his son and didn’t have a scrub brake shoe. I had one that was probably 75% worn out. Figured it would last him a while.

If you look around online they pop up for sale on eBay from time to time.

the one I had was steel. We talked about welding it up with wear arc rod to build it up

My question is how long will that knobby tire last with a scrub brake and how well will it stop if you have a dirt bike wheel on the back maybe get the drum brake working on that and use scrub brake for a backup