Pop up Camper

I have actively been looking for a camper for the family, but have little to no experience with pop ups. Although I have been camping all my life in a tent, the camper thing is new territory. I have little ones ( 2yr & 3yr old) and want to have a few comforts for them when they come along.

Does anyone have one? What are the pros and cons? What types of things should I look for when shopping around? Any advice/pictures of your own is welcomed and appreciated.

2x6 wood shims are good to have with you for the jacks or if the ground is not flat to put under the tires...an extra jack under the door never hurts either. If you need heat or air try to avoid the roof top units..

Never had a smaller camper. My only RV was a 35 foot 5th wheel with A/C on the roof. Never had an issue with the mechanicals, but the roof did end up leaking and caused some damage to the wood framing.

Hey Scorpion. I worked in the RV industry here in Michigan for 6 years as a service and warranty advisor. In my opinion the key is to find one that hasn't leaked! Look in every corner under every cushion and in every compartment. Dark or discolored flooring is a key, then check for softness in the floor. Make sure to have it FULLY set up, then check every inch of the ceiling - especially the corners! Dark rusty staples and loose trim battens are sure clues. Top repairs are expensive and up here the average shop rate is crowding $120/hour. Next check all the canvas for mold, black spots, discoloration and torn seams and screens. Once you find a good clean one with the options you like check all the appliances for function. Refrigerators are the most expensive so smell inside for a strong ammonia smell and look in from the back at the coils for yellowish powder, both indicating failure. Many pop ups have 3 way fridges; 12 volt, propane and electric. They don't work like residential units with coolant but are absorption units and work with heat. $800 and up for a replacement. A/C units are next expensive but are pretty dependable. They don't usually leak the refrigerant but cannot normally be serviced or recharged if they do. Biggest and most common problem is broken covers. Furnace next, but they are quite serviceable and mostly motor bearings go. Pop up appliances don't get the use of say big 5th wheels as they aren't often lived in for months at a time so I again re-emphasize LEAKS! Rockwood, Flagstaff, Jayco are all as good as any in my opinion. A-liner don't have as much useable space but are top of the line in this area and set up with the push of a button. They've all got some very attractive floor plans and even full baths and decks or platforms to haul bikes and quads and such. I prefer the Hybrids, which are the small trailers with pop out ends. I like them because they don't have to be set up to load on short notice to camp, bathrooms and kitchens can be used while traveling for lunches and breaks along the way without cranking them up, heat and a/c retention are better via less canvas and I can go on and on. More money obviously and heavier to tow but I'm just a fan of them HOWEVER THEY TOO LEAK! Same inspection procedure! People always ask me what the best trailer is, $125,000.00 5th wheel? No, the one that doesn't leak! PM me if I can help in any specific way and I'd be more than happy! :biggrin::thumbsup:

Only thing i dont like about them,is in order to get ready to go,you have to crank the top up to put all your stuff in the camper.Find a good safe place for things like fishing poles and stuff,crank the top down to get ready to go_OOPS...forgot something,crank the top up and so on.I just rather have a small pull behind.Hell open the door,throw all your stuff in there,lawn chairs,coolers,you can take those bigger things with you that you cant put in a pop up.

Pop-ups are great ! I've had one years after I sold my larger one.They are so simple & easy to use,you can buy a used one cheap & if cared for you won't loose a penny when you sell.
My only recommendation is finding one with a actual fridge,not a ice box ! The trailer has to be 100% level for a ice box or you'll wake to a huge cold puddle. Other than that use the same precautions as any camper,try to prevent rodents,store indoors if poss.,and dryer sheets on seating/mattresses helps . Oh it's also a good idea with pop ups to pop up and air out a day or two before use.As with any tent--never put away wet.
Good luck..you'll love it.

we had one for years when the kids were young its one of the purchases i never regretted soooo much nicer than a tent.you get a system down for setting up and it takes about 5 min. they are light to pull so you dont use much gas,so you tend to use it more. we also liked the low profile when pulling for wind resistance and they dont look as obtrusive when not in use and parked at home. a nice used one is the way to go big savings. but make sure to check for signs of leaks and the stiching on the canvas. buy one the kids will always remember all the places you go.

You should really keep your eyes open for a Little HiLo camper trailer my friend has one . They are light and made of fiberglass , duel axle , disk brakes , roof top AC easy to pull with a smaller car or truck. It's a blast to stay in , when we go to desert off-road races we just pull up and hit the button and the top raises and it's ready to camp. Good luck :thumbsup:

Are you talking about a Trailer or a camper for a truck?? I have two of the truck type pop ups and they were great! The only problem being is space, inside is tight and really only good for two people. Now if you are talking about a Tent trailer they have much more room in them. I am currently looking to purchase one my self. Doodads pretty much covers what to look for.

Hornet, never worked for a HI LO dealer but I remember our owner would ALWAYS take one in on trade! They'd be gone in a week! A-liner works the same way just fold up as the name says, like an A or tee pee. Used pop ups are a commodity this time of year for a dealer as so many people can't get into something new. We used to sit on them to have ample supply come "Tax Time". :biggrin::thumbsup:

...the key is to find one that hasn't leaked!...
Good luck with that. :laugh: From my experience, when the seller says it hasn't leaked, he's probably lying. And if it really doesn't leak, then it's getting ready to. Besides following all of Doodad's great tips, be prepared to do a bunch of scraping and sealing and preventative maintenance on anything you bring home. RVs and campers are just like a boats, only upside down and always about to spring a leak. :laugh: Sealer/caulk is cheap, your labor is free, and water damage is costly to repair.

I've always thought these things were intriguing. Has anybody here had one?

Tom, that's an A-liner Chalet. They're very nice but pricey. I worked for a dealer of those and when people came in wanting one they were prepared to pay. Push a button and they're up, very nicely outfitted and light for what they are, but you lose the room and sleep capacity of the pull out ends, and in some cases, sides of the traditional pop up. :thumbsup::biggrin:

Thanks for all the input fellas. After reading all that, I'm a bit timid now. I can damn near fix anything, but I don't want to start out with a turd. It's kinda hard to shop for one. Most people don't want to pop them up for you to look/inspect. Those must have hidden problems for sure. A-liners are nice, but smaller. I have 4 kids and the wife. I want light weight, 5-6 people, and something to fit in the garage.

our coleman slept 6 so long as 2 were kids everyone was comfortable, as i said before it only takes 5- 10 mins to set up so if the seller doesnt want to set it up walk away. good luck

Make sure the floors aren't rotted, the top is not chewed by mice, no leaks in any seams, make sure it all WORKS the way it is supposed to, roof cranker uppers and all that shit..

Store a buttload of mothballs everywhere you can get one in it :laugh:

and love it.. :shrug: They don't weigh shit, pull easy, not bad on gas, gives you an area with floors and tables and lights and stuff, but still more like camping.. Like having one seriouslay bad ass tent always at the ready.. Plus you can drag it out into the woods somewhere and go camping, as apposed to the places you need to park some huge 60 foot Fleetwood..

Yeah hell man a nice little pop up is by far nothing to ashamed of owning, especially with a couple little ones running around..

No No, don't be a-skeerd. Go get one and be confident in doing so. You've got the mind for it now and knowing that you can fix anything makes you the perfect owner. You can put the screws to someone and think of the memories you'll make with the fam'. We've got your back here, remember you've gotten the worst of the worst in what can happen and have the knowledge from all us cheapskates on what to look for to get a deal. They aren't all junk but most are dirty and unwaxed which are great "I'll give you ONLY $xx.00 tools. Then bring it home and employ all your helpers to pimp it out. If you find one and any of us here could help just pm or post and someone will have the right answer! Go Get 'em! :biggrin::thumbsup:

My daughter and I just got back from a bike ride. On the way home we saw a dealership off the highway. Pulled in but they didn't have any pop ups. All i saw were $300, 000 plus motor homes. Man those things are sweet. We never got off the bike. I didn't want the salesman to get false hope. Hopefully I can get some lined up tomorrow to look at.

Last edited: