Powell Challenger rescued from Dad's shed

Two days ago I didn't know the bike I pulled out of my Dad's shed was a Powell Challenger until I found this forum. It was never mine. The old man got it when I was 16 and I rode it may be twice, threw and lost the chain once which resulted in a ban from playing with this toy. I had my own mini bike when I was around 9 along with a few go-karts and a 3-wheeler.

I pulled the carb and tank off the motor to see if it is salvageable. The carb was gummed up and the tank is full of rust. The code on the motor dates it 2/2/81 so, it's not original. Would it be wrong to put a Predator engine on this bike?

biasedmind

Welcome to OldMiniBikes..
Nice early Powell there's tons of info about them here at OldMiniBikes..
There should be a serial number located on the bikes top frame rail just in front of the steering neck..:thumbsup:

george3

Two days ago I didn't know the bike I pulled out of my Dad's shed was a Powell Challenger until I found this forum. It was never mine. The old man got it when I was 16 and I rode it may be twice, threw and lost the chain once which resulted in a ban from playing with this toy. I had my own mini bike when I was around 9 along with a few go-karts and a 3-wheeler.

I pulled the carb and tank off the motor to see if it is salvageable. The carb was gummed up and the tank is full of rust. The code on the motor dates it 2/2/81 so, it's not original. Would it be wrong to put a Predator engine on this bike?
Predator wont fit. needs a 5HP Briggs

biasedmind

Welcome to OldMiniBikes..
Nice early Powell there's tons of info about them here at OldMiniBikes..
There should be a serial number located on the bikes top frame rail just in front of the steering neck..:thumbsup:
What if anything can you tell me about the year it was manufactured based on the SR# 1668-C

My original intention was to fix it up and sell to buy my girls (9 & 6) a go-kart. But... I finding I want it for myself. Logic says I'll need something to chase them down with when their in the future go-kart.

george3

What if anything can you tell me about the year it was manufactured based on the SR# 1668-C

My original intention was to fix it up and sell to buy my girls (9 & 6) a go-kart. But... I finding I want it for myself. Logic says I'll need something to chase them down with when their in the future go-kart.
I am guessing about 1967. Look at the Powell serial number list. You will find the year by the serial numbers.

george3

Quote:
Originally Posted by george3
Predator wont fit. needs a 5HP Briggs

That's what I thought since I haven't spotted one on any of the Powells here.

SR# 1668-C
The early models its much better to stick with a 5HP briggs. The engine tilts on that model. Here is my Powell Phantom 7.

BM
The records I have been keeping lead me to believe your Challenger 1668-C would have rolled off the assembly line around 10-1968

1436-C was sold on 07-26-68
1992-C was sold on 11-01-68

I have to send Alan Powell another list of serial numbers I will add yours to the list.

The Powell is mine to keep and enjoy. I think my wife was a little upset when I decided I wanted it for myself instead of selling it to get a go Kart for our girls. But it's just so damn cool.

After daily checking Craigslist I found the answer to the girls getting their toy and me keeping mine. It has a 7hp Briggs swapped off a power washer. The kid that had it hooked up the throttle backwards so, it was full throttle at start. It'll be an easy fix with a little fabrication.

Now to get it running so I can stat playing with the Challenger.

xjrock,
That is a sharp Powell. Did you swap the tilt engine mount for a fixed.

In 1 weeks time a Powell and a go kart... I think I found my new addiction. I gave up building 4X4 after a freak roll that made my wife swear she and the girls would never trail ride.