Powell model H restore

Glad to see you back. The bike looks good.

No, they don't coast at all, if you are talking about pushing them around the garage. The extra pulley is supposed to have spring tension pushing down on the belt, tightening it, and keeping it further into the driver, thus keeping it in a lower gear. (Or at least that is how it was explained to me) On my Powell, it was barely noticeable either way. Go ahead and get yourself a longer belt of high quality.

There should be a tang, (A bolt and nut) in the frame very near where you have the tye wrap that holds the arm in place.

Here is my Comet 20, belt, and driver with spacers in it to convert the Powell 5/8 to the Comet 3/4. Note bolt holding arm.

View attachment 100999
Great info. Yeah, it does not coast like in neutral on the motorcycle, so I've been using one of those plastic 4 wheeled plant stands I got at Home Depot under the back wheel to move it around the basement.

The "tang" seems to be built in from the factory on the H as opposed to a nut/bolt setup like you have. And that's the reason for the tie wrap. The arm kept on coming off the tang when I rode it the one time, and like you, I noticed no difference in the two positions. I think your spring is much heavier than mine. I might play around with spring tension to see if that makes a difference.

OK, the questions !!
I can't see the little pulley end (it's blocked by your clutch cover bracket), is it removable ? Mine isn't and that is the reason I didn't get that end powder coated and it looks so bad.

What belt number is that? It looks toothed like my original Powell belt I'm afraid to use.

"Note the bolt holding the arm" What am I missing? What I see is a fine thread Swing arm/Driver bolt with what looks to be a self locking nut. Where is the spacer to convert the belt sizes? I like the Comet 20. Good idea. My old 70's Horstman seems OK for now though.

Picture of the tang:
100_1765.JPG