Predator questions?

JamnJM

How long has the predator engines been out?

Has there been any flywheel problems of them coming apart like the clones?

(side question: How many clone flywheels have come apart due to using an 1/2" impact gun on them vs proper wrenching them down?) :shrug:

I hope this doesn't bring up lots hate posts and I would rather use an quality SFI Alum flywheel for long high revs but....?????

A year or so I would guess.
There are no definate conclusions with rpm limits, even with the 196 clones. I have heard some have gone at 4500, and some at 7k.
The only 'safe' way is to get a billet flywheel. However you either have to take it to a machine shop or spend a few hours with lapping compound to get it to fit to the predator crankshaft.

JamnJM

I was just wondering since the Predator is basically a new from the ground up build that maybe they address the flywheel problem some what.

Plus I'm wondering if most of the flywheel problem came from air gunning the flywheel nut on too tight that can start stress cracks from the keyway????

Just think out loud here.....

Some may have gone due to incorrect installation, it is highly likely. However there are also many that have failed due to the coil dropping down and other factors.

The flywheel isn't an issue at 3600rpm therefore there is no point for the chineese manufacturer to invest money in it. The majority of predator motors sold will be left governed with no issues.

"Has there been any flywheel problems of them coming apart like the clones?"

I have a predator and it revs about 6000-6500 rpm and I don't have any problems (doesn't mean I'm not cautious, I mean Chinese metal isn't the best)?:innocent:

i just bought the new predator from hf and the vibrations are pretty rediculous, it rattled the bolts right off my handle bars in the first 20 minutes. No problem some locktight cant fix but yea my old clone seemed much smoother. Other than that though it seems to be an okay engine so far. Well see how it takes to some mods...

..and i see that i didnt even come remotely close to answering OPs question :facepalm:

Last edited:
I have two 212 CC's and there is no excessive vibrations. I'd take it back. No problems on doing that.
Shit maybe i should return it then, i kinda just it accepted it as the price of a cheap imitiation engine but if im the only one

A year or so I would guess.
However you either have to take it to a machine shop or spend a few hours with lapping compound to get it to fit to the predator crankshaft.
aw man i just ordered an ARC adjusty looks like ill have a little extra work to do...

i just bought the new predator from hf and the vibrations are pretty rediculous, it rattled the bolts right off my handle bars in the first 20 minutes. No problem some locktight cant fix but yea my old clone seemed much smoother. Other than that though it seems to be an okay engine so far. Well see how it takes to some mods...

..and i see that i didnt even come remotely close to answering OPs question :facepalm:
Yeah the vibration took my steering wheel of the bolts. I think the rattling is from the amount of torque you get?

I've got mine mounted on a very small mini and a very large mini bike and both are very smooth on any throttle setting. They are not mounted on rubber shock mounts.